Electrical Question

Alan Faircloth

2 Electrical related questions.

First, my lights tend to flicker a bit at idle when stopped at a red light. I know the wiring in these cars could be a lot better, but is there another explanation? The battery in the car is good, but a real el cheapo. The alternator is fairly new too, but again, an el cheapo. I will likely change them over to my preferance of AC Delco stuff. Ideas?

Next, I have NEVER seen S L O W E R power windows. I did some looking around and several posts say that its a wiring issue and that Kirban has a harness to fix the problem. Is this right? So no other motors are faster? There's got to be a fix for this.

Alan

???

The stock alternator is a heavy duty, high capacity unit. rated at 120 amps. If your current alternator is not up this rating, performance will suffer, and bad things may happen. Low voltage under full throttle, low fuel pump output, lean burn, detonation, BOOM! The power windows, on the other hand, have a small, slow motor to reduce weight. There is somewhere (Gnttype.org) a description of how to use motors from an older body (78-80?) to speed up the windows.

For the lights, make sure you got good clean/tight connections and grounds.

For the windows, yes slow as heck. Mine take a good 4 seconds
to go from full open to closed. Kirbans sells basically a hotwire
for the windows. Same idea as the fuel pump thing, more voltage to a dc motor = more rpm's.

If the lights seem dull and flicker only at idle in gear and the alternator checks out,maybe your idle is too low.