ECM Pin A6 trouble

wlaukaitis

3rd Member
Hi guys,

here is my trouble. I get no power on pin A6 on the ECM, which in turn enables the SES which in turn enables eveything else. If I jumper it from ECM fuse to A6 it will start and run.

I get power up to the bulkhead (even through the brake light switch. but it is kind of difficult beyond that. Has anyone seen this before??

I MAY run a wire from the fusebox (without the fuse) with an inline fuse to A6 while also riging up the brake light switch, but that is fairly cheesy.

The fuse is NOT blowing so there is no short, is ther some other place (MAF, ESC) I can look for a bad connection or somehting>>

Thanks for your help in advance...

Bill

Bill,

My factory manual shows the following wire sequence:
  • ECM/IGN Fuse (10A) to:
  • C437 connector pin F to:
  • Splice S457 to:
    [*]ECM pin A6
    [*]CCCI pin P
    [*]MAF pin A
    [*]ESC module pin B

So! If you're checking the correct fuse, then it looks like your problem will be in the area of C437 connector (or the splice). This is the connector just to the left of the ECM about a foot away up behind the glovebox. It should have 2 rows: one with 8 pins, the other with 7 pins. Not sure how many PNK/BLK wires are in the C437, but the one you want to check will be the third from one of the ends of the 8 pin row.

HTH,

Getting close

Hi again

Thanks for the response!!

When I check for voltage at pin A6 with IGN ON I get nothing...fine...(with a normal test light, ground to Bat+). If I remember correctly, I get a light in the C437 (somewhere) I think.

When I check for continuity (with a powered test light) from ECM fuse I get a light somewhere in the harness near the Pass side shock tower. This wire splices from 5 into 1. The 5 go to the driver side and thre 1 goes towards the ECM, but I get nothing at the ECM.

If I do continuity from A6, I get a light on ESC, CCI pin P and MAF pin B ( I am getting good at this). In other words, it goes where it should.

Q: where is this Splice S457? What does it look like? Is there other wires besides pink W/black stripe??

So the book says this fuse power should go straight to the C437 connector then other places????

Thank you so musg for your help!!

Bill

Bill,

Double check that C437-F and make sure you're getting power there. If you are, your trouble is in the S457 splice. Manual shows that splice to be located "Engine harness near relay bracket". It will have (5) PNK/BLK wires at that one splice. The splice should have a piece of black "cloth" like material covering it.

One is the feed from C437-F
One heads back down in the car to ECM-A6
One goes to the CCCI-P
One goes to the MAF-A
The last goes to the ESC-B

That is the complete circuit for the ECM/IGN fuse!

I notice you are saying MAF-B, but the book shows pin "A", so be sure you are pinned correctly. Here's the MAF:

A - PNK/BLK
B - GRY/RED
C - BLK/WHT

Good luck!

the search is on!

Hi

I have power at C437 and it goes through the connector. but I do not get power at the other items.

I did notice this, I was thinking I could take to inner fender out and access the splice that way, (which is possible). But while looking at the fenderwell I noticed the Pass tire/wheel was rubbing up against the inner fender, I can see the harness from there (which is not good). Where this tire was rubbing is also an access door. The trick is getting the wheel off without breaking any lugs. I bought the car 2 weeks ago from a dude who had it sitting for 9 years. He said it just "stopped" one day, this must have been his trouble.

I really don't want to run a "jumper wire" and leave it like that, that is what I did to get it going.

BTW, I was tracing the wrong fuse initially, thanks for pointing that out. I'll keep you posted.

Bill:cool:

Here is the pin-out for that connector:

C437.jpg

If there is a broken wire the easiest to do is to splice the wires together without going through the plug.

RemoveBeforeFlight

It's behind the glove box door, has foam on it for some reason.....

It's easy to splice the wires together to bypass the connector if bad.