Ebay FMIC

TOMS86GN

Anybody running the GN1 FMIC? i saw it on ebay for like 600 and wonder how it preforms. I dont really want to cut corners and would like to get the rjc unit and support the vendors but 200 dollars seems tempting.

I don't have one...but the guy who manufactures these, does them exactly and specifically for our cars...this is the one that I will be buying in the next couple of months of so....

for the most part, they perform worse than a stock IC (granted your car has one)
they lack quality materials, engineering, proper assembly etc etc...it will end up costing you more in the long run

You see that intercooler on the gbodyparts web site? It's in the coming soon section and it's MASSIVE!!!!

for the most part, they perform worse than a stock IC (granted your car has one)
they lack quality materials, engineering, proper assembly etc etc...it will end up costing you more in the long run

Explain, please- material used, etc- all the points you mentioned. Thanks!

lol where in the world do you get this from? This is the biggest load of crap ive read. Have you tested it back to back? I find it hard to believe any front mount can perform worse than a stock intercooler. My dad runs an ebay intercooler eBay Motors: FMIC Turbo Intercooler 25x16x4 Buick Grand National AM (item 110121485092 end time May-06-07 21:03:49 PDT)
It went 124 mph this weekend on a PT61 and only 25 psi. I did the whole thing for much much less than any vendors FMIC, and i couldn't be happier to save the 5-600$. I don't see the kit the original poster asked about on ebay right now but here are the pics GN1 PERFORMANCE - INTERCOOLERS Looks like a quality unit and im sure performs well. Its not rocket science.

lol where in the world do you get this from? This is the biggest load of crap ive read. Have you tested it back to back? I find it hard to believe any front mount can perform worse than a stock intercooler. My dad runs an ebay intercooler eBay Motors: FMIC Turbo Intercooler 25x16x4 Buick Grand National AM (item 110121485092 end time May-06-07 21:03:49 PDT)
It went 124 mph this weekend on a PT61 and only 25 psi. I did the whole thing for much much less than any vendors FMIC, and i couldn't be happier to save the 5-600$. I don't see the kit the original poster asked about on ebay right now but here are the pics GN1 PERFORMANCE - INTERCOOLERS Looks like a quality unit and im sure performs well. Its not rocket science.

My point exactly- I install Powerstroke ICs in these cars, and I run a similar IC to the eBay IC in my personal car. Putting the IC directly into the airstream will improve the cooling of the charge air- even with the stock IC (just ask turbofabricator- he runs a twin turbo car using the stock ICs mounted up front). Also, the eBay unit doesn't have the flow restrictions of the stocker.....

You can debate the merits of stretch stock location/ FMIC/stock IC, but I just don't understand such a blanket condemnationof the eBay IC......

btw are u actually connected to TiAL sport?

I too would like to hear this explanation...the owner of GN1 Performance emailed me quite a bit of time ago..his name is Archie Bogosian...I believe Wells (a member on this site) knows him personally as well. The GN1 Performance intercooler looks to be an excellent bang for the buck. TIaL sport, I take you have a experience with this intercooler? If you don't then where did you get your information from?

I just ordered the bigboy 4" kit from the guy that supplys gn1 their stuff. let me know if anyone is interested. it was very cheap $$$. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I too would like to hear this explanation...the owner of GN1 Performance emailed me quite a bit of time ago..his name is Archie Bogosian...I believe Wells (a member on this site) knows him personally as well. The GN1 Performance intercooler looks to be an excellent bang for the buck. TIaL sport, I take you have a experience with this intercooler? If you don't then where did you get your information from?

Bogosian- wonder if that's Manny's brother?

I just ordered the bigboy 4" kit from the guy that supplys gn1 their stuff. let me know if anyone is interested. it was very cheap $$$. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

looks like i was mistaken but still will post some pix up.

oh lord...

AMS (one of our distributors) tested a stock Evo IC vs the ebay knockoff vs the AMS race IC...the test results are on Evolutionm.net i believe....anyway to keep things short the ebay IC made 8whp less than the stock IC (yet being almost 2x the size), and around 30whp less than the true AMS race IC (this test was done because the xs-power and SSautochrome knockoffs were direct copies of thier intercooler)

your dad trapped 124 with the ebay intercooler, what do you think he would trap with a real IC?

you get what you pay for, end of story

also, to inform you of how much the vendors are paying for these knockoff intercoolers, we happened to get an unaltered invoice from one of the companies selling this garbage...they pay a ****ping $60 for an entire intercooler kit...now $60 wouldn't buy you half the materials to make one of the AMS race IC's much less buy an OEM Evo intercooler from a junk yard, the metal quality is that of a tuna can at best.

Here is the data from Buschurs testing, i'm still looking for AMS's
Here you go, we finally did it. I hope everyone is happy now. I know I am.

My car is on the dyno making huge power, 640 whp with the new HTA35R on it. We have our Race FMIC on it which I say is the best FMIC you can buy with your hard earned money. The tempurature today is 62 degrees F in our dyno room.

I made a bunch of pulls this morning and the car was making within 1-3 hp on the last few of 640/511 torque.

When I got done I decided to leave the car on the dyno and put on the Ebay intercooler that is a copy in appearance to the AMS FMIC.

My car is running C16. I am using NO air temp correction for fueling other than when the air is BELOW 50 degrees F. So if the air temp goes UP the fuel stays the same. I am using no timing compensation for anything either. What I am telling you all is the map is the map, it is running what I told it to and not making adjustments.

The last pull I made with our Race FMIC was 643 whp and 511 ft lbs of torque. I MADE NO CHANGES. I left the dyno, had Ted bolt on the new intercooler and came back when he was done.

Here is the important data:

Air temp after the intercooler at the start of the pull, 62.60 degrees.
Air temp after the intercooler at the end of the pull, 69.80 degrees.
Increase in air temp 7.2 degrees.
Peak boost was 40.3 psi.

We then bolted on the Ebay special that is an AMS attempted copy. Absolutely NO changes were made to anything other than bolting on the I/C.

Car made 633 whp and 505 ft lbs of torque. So not a bad loss at this HP level.

Here is the BAD part.

Air temp after the intercooler at the start of the pull, 62.60 degrees.
Air temp after the intercooler at the end of the pull, 122 degrees!! That is an increase in air temp of 59.4 degrees in a single gear pull!
Peak boost went up which I find strange as it hit 42.1.

The knock count went up considerably with these higher air temps. To run the car safely I would need to pull atleast a few degrees of timing.

**So in summary the intercooler with 2 more psi boost made 10 less whp than our Race FMIC at that is at big HP levels. The problem is the intercooler is NOT EFFICIENT AT REMOVING HEAT. Which is what it is there for. I am betting the stock FMIC is not much worse than this. An increase of 59.4 degrees is absolutely HUGE in a single gear pull. On a summer day or road race/autocross situation this intercooler would absolutely SUCK.

Bottom line is, you get what you pay for and buying one of these I do not think is a good investment of your money.

actually holy ****, I really misread the thread, i thought someone was comparing the GM1 IC to the Ebay knockoff of the GM1 IC

GM1 good, eBay BAD!

my bad guys...i'm refering to the $150 eBay clone IC's

oh lord...

AMS (one of our distributors) tested a stock Evo IC vs the ebay knockoff vs the AMS race IC...the test results are on Evolutionm.net i believe....anyway to keep things short the ebay IC made 8whp less than the stock IC (yet being almost 2x the size), and around 30whp less than the true AMS race IC (this test was done because the xs-power and SSautochrome knockoffs were direct copies of thier intercooler)

your dad trapped 124 with the ebay intercooler, what do you think he would trap with a real IC?

you get what you pay for, end of story

also, to inform you of how much the vendors are paying for these knockoff intercoolers, we happened to get an unaltered invoice from one of the companies selling this garbage...they pay a ****ping $60 for an entire intercooler kit...now $60 wouldn't buy you half the materials to make one of the AMS race IC's much less buy an OEM Evo intercooler from a junk yard, the metal quality is that of a tuna can at best.

"ebay" knock off really doesn't say much. What was the core size? outlet size etc.... some of them on ebay look like crap. Im sorry if im very very skeptical of any test done by a freakin vendor that is trying to sell more if its more expensive product. The one i installed on my dads car..... well like i said its not rocket science, it flows well. (went from 115 mph to 119 converter unlocked and now 124 converter locked) I will almost guarantee that with another intercooler it will not go much faster than 124 on a warm day like it did. The turbo is small and ive only seen one other person with that high of a trap speed on a PT61. Making a blanket statement about them being worse than our stock intercooler is rediculous. Maybe some Ebay setup that was installed on an EVO was worse than its stock IC but apparently you haven't seen many stock buick intercoolers. I can't seem to find a link to the test you mention on evolutionm.net, do i have to register? Was there tuning done to the vehicle to take advantage of more air and cooler denser charge? If so i would imagine it would go lean and detonate making less power. Anyways sorry i still disagree with you and most here will probably agree with me. There are many running stock powerstroke intercoolers and ebay setups that just flat work. What i find funny is you mention nothing first hand about the actual product being discussed. GN1performance looks like a decent piece, and you have no facts to back up what you said about it. I don't care about some ebay knock off on an EVO. BTW TiAL is even a vendor for gn1performance;)

dammit all this and it was a damn mistake? lol i just got done typing all that out..... anyways if you want i will put my dads ebay intercooler up against anything else you got.....i bet it flows as well.... trust me a 3700 lb car isn't going 124mph on a PT61 on a bad intercooler setup.....

dammit all this and it was a damn mistake? lol i just got done typing all that out..... anyways if you want i will put my dads ebay intercooler up against anything else you got.....i bet it flows as well.... trust me a 3700 lb car isn't going 124mph on a PT61 on a bad intercooler setup.....

lol yeah wow, holy misunderstanding :eek: