Easy inspection

belsie

Gentlemen; I'm hoping to be able to check the condition of my timing chain and cam lift (within reason) w/out tearing down. I will have the intercooler & turbo off along with all the piping out of the way, plugs out and valve covers off. I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions.

It's the classic pull valve cover and rotate crank back n forth by hand on valve opening to see if it moves when you rotate the other way. I'm sure there's youtube videos of it. A quick way without having to remove the SLIC, pull all the plugs, then put a socket on the alternator bolt and turn the engine that way, if the belt is on of course. You might have to hold the tensioner to have enough grip too.

If that timing set hasn't been replaced you need to do it. Even with low miles it is nylon and over thirty yrs old if it is original.

It's the classic pull valve cover and rotate crank back n forth by hand on valve opening to see if it moves when you rotate the other way. I'm sure there's youtube videos of it. A quick way without having to remove the SLIC, pull all the plugs, then put a socket on the alternator bolt and turn the engine that way, if the belt is on of course. You might have to hold the tensioner to have enough grip too.
Thank you sir....a local knowledgeable friend suggested pulling the cam sensor cover off & rotating to see if there is any slop

As always the responses are not only informative...but what is one to do with a perfect running unit when one does not know the history???? I realize the best way but would appreciate any thoughts .........