E85

Dunno.. great question.. I dont like the 15% fuel it has.. especially in simple plastic tanks..

I wouldnt.. but you can if you want ;)

Razor said:
Dunno.. great question.. I dont like the 15% fuel it has.. especially in simple plastic tanks..

I wouldnt.. but you can if you want ;)
Well I don't have an alky system yet. I've been reading about them for the last couple of days, and i've been wondering besides cost of fuel is there a performance difference between say 116 octane and alcohol injection? It seems that there is an advantage with the alcohol, because it cools the intake charge. I don't mind paying for race gas, but I like what i've been reading about alky. Plus no matter what it will pay for itself and then some, and then some more. Thanks

The injection liquid has to be compatible with the injection parts. Like other chemicals tolulene, xylene, acetone, etc...

Straigh methanol is cheap.. and the amount consumed is so small it doesnt hit the pocketbook hard.

As far as performance.. on my own personal vehicle, it is my belief it runs faster on 93 with alky than it could ion c12/c16. A few runs I did middle last year on c12 netted 190+ intake air temps at 24 PSI. At BG racing it, my intake temps never went higher than 5 degree's above ambient all week long.

mid 10's at 132.. did it in Reynolds.. and repeated at BG ;) on 93 octane

Razor said:
The injection liquid has to be compatible with the injection parts. Like other chemicals tolulene, xylene, acetone, etc...

Straigh methanol is cheap.. and the amount consumed is so small it doesnt hit the pocketbook hard.

As far as performance.. on my own personal vehicle, it is my belief it runs faster on 93 with alky than it could ion c12/c16. A few runs I did middle last year on c12 netted 190+ intake air temps at 24 PSI. At BG racing it, my intake temps never went higher than 5 degree's above ambient all week long.

Where do you have your ats sensor located?

Inside my intake manifold underneath the coil pack bracket.

Razor said:

You know Julio, this was the next question I had because this is what my gut has been telling me as the logical extention to using alcohol/pump gas mixture as a replacement for race gas: One of the major benefits of alcohol from what I've researched is its low evapouration point and its high latent heat of evapouration -> it dramatically drops the temperature of the charge surrounding itself when it evapourates. Race gas, while having such benefits as lead and very high octane for a hotter running engine environment, does not possess the innate ability to dramatically lower charge temps. It seems to me that you can really have your cake and eat it too, as it were, with alcohol.

Now, the next thing I'd like to know is what the "effective" "octane" rating (if there is such a thing) for alcohol ...

B

BDC said:
Now, the next thing I'd like to know is what the "effective" "octane" rating (if there is such a thing) for alcohol ...

B

Well and even if you knew what octane ot was, then we need to know how much fuel vs how much alcohol. Since the alky is shot in mixed with your fuel. We can all assumme 110 - 120 octane.. but if your alky portion is only 5% of your fueling.. then the octane benefit isnt as great as if it were 20% of your fueling... That is if you needed the additional octane ;) So going to 20% doesnt mean you'll make more power on one vehicle vs another.

Simple question with toooo many variables.