E85 goooo?

seeya v6

I removed my engine this morning due to a broken crankshaft !!! More on that later. I see this tar like substance in my intake runners of my heads? I have been using E85 in this Buick for just over a year, anyone seen this before? The car did sit for 3 months during winter. I'm assuming this has to be a by product of E85? Thanks Doug....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 408
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    991.6 KB · Views: 409
I just did work on a c6 vette with heads cam intintake running e85 and had a cracked port weeping coolant (aggressive LPE port job) When the injectors were pulled the ends of 7 were covered in this exact same tar crud goo. It's the nature of the beast with e85 IMO

I removed my engine this morning due to a broken crankshaft !!! More on that later. I see this tar like substance in my intake runners of my heads? I have been using E85 in this Buick for just over a year, anyone seen this before? The car did sit for 3 months during winter. I'm assuming this has to be a by product of E85? Thanks Doug....
That is from the oil soaking up the ethanol. You need to change oil more often. I suggest that you find and oil that is E85 friendly. Stay away from oil like Brad Penn, cause it will soak up the ethanol.

I'm using rotella oil 15w-40 and changing it every 1,000 .... I looked at my injector tips and they r clean.

I'm using rotella oil 15w-40 and changing it every 1,000 .... I looked at my injector tips and they r clean.

Just a comment about using a diesel oil especially in a turbo engine, it contains lots more detergent than regular oil and it may be washing cylinder wall crud into the crankcase which can make its way into the intake in the form of vapor if you are using a PCV?

Rotella also does not have as much anti-foaming additive as regular oil, and my diesel usually is never over 3000 RPM, and usually at 2200 RPM.

Glad you posted your info, and I would be interested in your location/climate conditions?

We have over 3 years experience with many e-85 cars locally, both turbo and carbed, and never seen what you have experienced, and some have been apart during this period.

Thanks for the input, I used it because of the oil weight,had nice oil pressure. Motor has 8,000 street miles on it.

I have read theories that the sludge comes from old diesel tanks being converted to E-85 ...as in the in ground tanks that you pump out of.

Engine ever been apart? I'm wondering if the e 85 is cleaning the carbon buildup out of the runners

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

we have had 2 cars running ethanol for the last 5 years and ive never come across this problem. I dont know if our blend is different to yours in the US but never seen this before. Ive had the heads off our motor several times and not seen it. Its weird....

If I was the E85 i should see some in my fuel filter? I will check that by the weekend. The motor has not been apart since the E85 conversion. I'm disassembling the engine now, I will post more pics. Thanks for the input.

If it was coming thru the fuel system, it would be in the inj filter baskets.
What do they look like?

My runners had brown gooo near the intake valves on all 6 cyl. Also had it on the tips of the injectors. I was on e85 for about 3 months ( 800 miles ).
Buddy of mine who lives about 50 miles away also had brown gooo in different parts of his motor.
I went back to 93 octane....can't deal with the guessing...
Unfortunately, I've heard some stories about the quality of the fuel. Don't know what's bs and what's not...

My runners had brown gooo near the intake valves on all 6 cyl. Also had it on the tips of the injectors. I was on e85 for about 3 months ( 800 miles ).
Buddy of mine who lives about 50 miles away also had brown gooo in different parts of his motor.
I went back to 93 octane....can't deal with the guessing...
Unfortunately, I've heard some stories about the quality of the fuel. Don't know what's bs and what's not...
The sludge that you are all seeing is from the oil soaking of E85. This will happen unless you run a oil friendly of E85 and the correct A/F ratio. And to back that..... That is why some oil companies will state not to you their oil with E-85. Brad Penn is one of them.

I run Rotella, 93 oct and spray 100% Alky for the last 5k miles. Just had dog house off very clean.

The sludge that you are all seeing is from the oil soaking of E85. This will happen unless you run a oil friendly of E85 and the correct A/F ratio. And to back that..... That is why some oil companies will state not to you their oil with E-85. Brad Penn is one of them.

How about filling us in on the correct A/F and oil?

The intake has a little goo in the runners, the injectors are clean from what I can see. I agree it's an oil issue, as far as A/F ratio it's very lean on cruise,14.7 idle around 13.0 and wot is 10.8..I need to continue using E85,should I remove the PVC and what oil brand would you recommend?