E85 (85% Alcohol Fuel) use in GN

tomjon

The E85 fuel is now available in my area. Would one adjust the boost/fuel/spark as if running racing fuel? Any negatives for using this fuel?

It takes more fuel for E85. At least the dual fuel GM pickups had bigger injectors. Also pretty sure that alky has less btu's per volume/mass.

Not sure about what is needed to prevent corrosion, but might be something to check out.

Tom

I was going to go to E85 myself but there are a few things you need to do first, which changed my mind.

E 85 will eat away a fuel system. You need an alky ready pump and this would mean it probably goes externally. $$$

Then, E 85 needs 40% more fuel to get the same btu level of regular gas. E 95 needs even more to get the same btu level. You not only need injectors that much larger $$$
But an ecu upgrade for the low impedence injectors. $$$

E 85 does not start well in the winter due to the low btu levels. I have read a bunch on this because I thought I was for sure going to do ths as its $1.80 by me and at 12 other locations here in IL. The tests had a hard time getting the test car to start in 20 to 0 temps. If I remember right, its stopped starting when it got to single digits above 0 and below. Forget winter driving or even late fall driving here in IL with this stuff.

I have had two different conversations with Marathon Technicians and I got E 85 is 111 octane, and the other said its 105 octane. Lets be safe and take the low end, 105 octane, at $1.80. You need 40% more so a 10 gallon tank of 93 oct at $1.80 is $18. You need 14 gallons of E 85 ($1.80) to get the same gas mileage. This means you are at $25.20 or really the equivalant of $2.52 a gallon. This is almost what I get 100 oct for here, so I am not sure if its worth it with the other added expenses involved.