E 85

bose

I have not been on the site for a while and do not understand the E 85. I know this is for flex fuel cars but from what I have been reading it seems like you are able to run high boost on it with no alcohol injection. Can someone tell me the basics about it? Bruce

This whole section is full of threads that can tell you just about anything about E-85 and how to use it Bruce. The easiest thing that I've read posted is that you need 2 things for a simple change over if the car is a mild build or stock. 30% larger injectors and a new TT chip from Eric and possibly a new fuel pump.

If you want the bare basics read this wiki article. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85

Then if you want to know more about how it applies to our cars start reading some of the stickies in the E85 Technical forum.

Basically you don't really need a flex fuel to car run E85, you just need a car programmed to run it. Flex Fuel is safer because it reads the actual content of ethanol and makes adjustments accordingly. When you go to the pump and get E85 it isn't always E85 (which stands for 85% ethanol, 15% gas). Sometimes it is as low as E70 (or 70% ethanol). This can cause issues if you push your car to the max. That being said you can have your car "programmed" to run it via a chip such as Turbotweak as Charlie pointed out.

As far as running more boost, you are able to do this because of ethanol's strong suppression to knock. In fact I'm not sure if anyone has found the point of boost that will cause knock, assuming their fueling system is keeping up. In fact you may never reach knock at all and go straight into pre-ignition. The highest amount of boost I know of someone running is 35 lbs on E-85.

If you do some reading and still have questions afterwords come on back.

HTH - Jason

As far as running more boost, you are able to do this because of ethanol's strong suppression to knock. In fact I'm not sure if anyone has found the point of boost that will cause knock, assuming their fueling system is keeping up. In fact you may never reach knock at all and go straight into pre-ignition. The highest amount of boost I know of someone running is 35 lbs on E-85.

HTH - Jason

Well put!
I can make you a promise...You will hit injector duty cycle max and you your fuel systems limit long before you'll see any knock

Well put!
I can make you a promise...You will hit injector duty cycle max and you your fuel systems limit long before you'll see any knock

Why does methanol make more power than gasoline? For the same reason Q16,ethanol,and nitro methane make more power than gasoline. Because they contain oxygen. A molecule of ethanol contains 35% oxygen by weight. Add this fact to the fact that it burns so slow. Man,this stuff is awesome!

Replace any old rubber lines in the fuel system and install a fresh fuel filter. Be sure spark plugs and wires are in good condition.
Conrad