E-85 vs. pump gas wtih Methanol injection

Thanks!, is there any advantage in tuning with 100% meth, vs. 50/50 as far as horsepower?

What about when you run Race gas, say C-16, or Q-16, is the Meth still beneficial do to the lower intake temps?, or will it lower the over all mixture octane when getting mixed with race gas?

thanks!

Can use either. Its just your spraying preference. Most of us use 100%.

As you can use water, the tuning is different the higher you go in water concentration.

Grumpy runs where done on 100% methanol.

Simply water doesnt burn.

Cooling is only an issue if the temps show it needs to be addressed.

Example you have an adequately sized liquid IC full of packed ice and run C16.. no need for an injection kit. Vs having lets say a stock IC, running 30 PSI boost, and trying to control 200+degree's of intake air temp.

Every situation is different. And how to handle each one. My close friend runs a twin turbo SBC in an 87 Regal with a large FM. Without alky he would see 170 degree's at the 1/8 mile mark. With alky he see's ambient temp. He runs VP C16 exclusively.

You don't need twin fuel pumps to run E85, a chip and injectors 30% bigger would be a good start.

Both setups have + and -, but you're not going to get a ton of answers concerning GN's and E85, there are very few of us. But if you look elsewhere, other cars are making more power on E85 than pump and alky. E85 acts like 110 octane, alky does not allow you to push the cylinder pressure to E85 levels, I believe someone on here is running 29psi on E85.

There are ZERO concerns with alky pumps dying or turning on or not spraying the appropriate pressure. E85 owners worry about 1 pump, alky owners 2.

Here in IL we have 204 E85 stations, not hard to find one. :)

E85 will reduce your gas mileage but it's cheaper than regular fuel and WAY cheaper than Meth now, those prices have really gone up this year. :(

Why not just run both and ditch the FMIC, that'll pay for the alky kit. ;)

Any other, or new opinions on this? I'm ready to convert to e85, or add Razor's kit. Thanks. Dave

I am currently running E85, and for a high 10 second combination its not hard to do.

80 lb injectors and a hotwired fuel pump with good voltage will get you there, some sort of volt boosting device adds some margin.

I went to Norwalk, and on the way back was down to 1/4 tank and was looking for E85. After not finding any, I put 10 gallons of 93 in the tank, pulled 10% out of the mainscale on the translator Pro and drove home with NO ISSUES (ran damn well....)

So the issue of not having E85 at every station is not that dire. Around home I find myself filling at the same station all the time out of habit (and knowing that they have good octane...) So the same habit comes into play with the E85. No big deal.

Now, I still have an alky kit on the car, and ran that for years. Alky injection is great, and if you keep the system full and maintained its a great way to make power.

Both are great ways to run higher boost on the street for lots cheaper than race gas.

Bob

Well as of today, I'm able to run 20psi and 25 degrees without an FMIC with Razors M15 Meth kit, a 2gph 50/50 preturbo injection and E85.

I figure, both are great so why not sell your intercooler, run both setups and use the alky as the intercooler. :DWatch out for the crazy boost increase from doing so. :eek::eek::eek:

I just converted one of my cars to E85, it's an old stock motor with a lot of miles on it and not many mods, just a TA49 with a stock intercooler and 3" exhaust system. I was running it before with 100 no-lead ($7/gal) and SMC meth injection, and it could handle 24-25psi with 21 degrees timing. Now it's running E85 with the same meth injection and it can easily handle the same boost and timing. I've even turned it up a little to 25+ psi and 26 degrees low gear / 22 degrees hi gear.

E85 is super easy to get Illinois, so it's a win/win here.

The conversion cost me about $520
80's and a chip from turbotweak (~$400), a fresh walbro 340 (~$100) and a new fuel filter (~$20).

There is a member on here somehwere that did back to back testing on a dyno and was averaging 10% ( even 15% in some cases )more power using E-85 vs alky injection using the same setup other than fuel delivery changes.

Most of the time when you use E-85 you can run more boost or even timing so there is more power available after a tune above that 10% average. Its good stuff if you can get it.

Most of the time when you use E-85 you can run more boost or even timing so there is more power available after a tune above that 10% average. Its good stuff if you can get it.

I think that depends on the tune up. You can make the same car put up the same numbers on race fuel or pump gas and alky. I just depends on if you are willing to spend the time to tune it to do so.