Dynomax Cats

Low Budget

Is anyone running one of these? How is it working out? What part number cat did you put on?

Thanks,
Jeff

Thanks norbs.

Big money for that convertor though. I'd still like to know what the Dynomax convertors are like. I need to get some flow numbers to compare them to the Random Technologies convertors. They (the Dynomax) are half the price, but hopefully they don't flow half the cfm's.

Anyone have anything to add?

What do you do for a heat sheild on these Random Tech cats? I see they have none, and am concerned about the floor and my passengers feet.

If you enlarge the picture, the Random tech cat does have a heat sheild around the shell and there should be a factory heat sheild under the car. As long as the cat is placed in the factory location, there shouldn't be a problem.

Sorry my bad. I should have scrolled down further. But there is a heat sheild on the car.

Originally posted by gofstbuick
If you enlarge the picture, the Random tech cat does have a heat sheild around the shell and there should be a factory heat sheild under the car. As long as the cat is placed in the factory location, there shouldn't be a problem.

If you enlarge the picture of the 700000 series cat that was recommended above, there is no heat shield. As for the factory sheild already on the car, I'll have to look again. I can't visualize it being there. I know the factory cat has an integral sheild, but don't remember the seperate one you refer to. If it's there on mine, I will probably just clean it up and stick some extra heat resistant material on there since this new cat won't have the factory configuration.
Thanks for the response.

I've got the Random Tech. cat. on my car.

No heat problems.

ECM doesn't complain and it's sitting on the floor right now. ;)

Good to hear. Thanks.

I actually bought a

Item# = 329-79-400300
Description = Dynatech PowerCat Catalytic Converters
3.00'' Inlet/Outlet Converter

from Jeg's for $100 less than the Random Tech. It looks identical in design inside and out, with the exception of the finish. The Random Tech is polished and this one is not. I'll let you know how it works out Thursday, as Wednesday it's going on the car.

Just took off the $$$ Random Tech. unit, it does have a heat shield on the top.

Mine is a 3" inlet and outlet with the GM flange on it.

Also the factory heat shield is still on my cars.

My ultra high flow see through cat. goes on the car tomorrow. ;)

Yours must have been the ceramic type they sell. The 700000 series is a universal fit in either 2 1/2 or 3'' in and out. I have the competitions version in 3''. I can see through this one too by the way. I wouldn't want to read a book through it, but I can easily see light and my hand pass across the other end. The inside of this is a metal substrate.

Update! All done.

We put the new Dynatech cat on yesterday. First I took measurements, then I took off the test pipe supplied with my Hooker cat back system. I took this test pipe and the new convertor to a shop that stocked 3" pipe. I had them cut the flange off the test pipe, and weld it to an appropriate length piece of pipe. The other end of the pipe was then welded into the new convertor. Prest-o-change-o, a new direct fit extremely high flow cat.

It sounds, almost identical to the test pipe. It seems to be the same tone and number of decibels exactly. The only change is the drone (which was minimal already) is now even less.

I obviuosly haven't been to the track yet, but it feels just as strong on the street as before the change.

Lastly, I drove directly to the yearly dyno emissions test. The results were as follows:

CO % x liters
Limit - 1.10
Result - 0.11 - Pass

HC ppm x liters
Limit - 275
Result - 64 - Pass

NO ppm x liters
Limit - 3600
Result - 239 - Pass

RPM - 2051

Dilution - 15.2%

So...I'm pleased with my choice so far.