Dutt neck question

richburke03

I just installed a dutt neck intercooler yesterday. I did not make any changes on my rjc boost controller. On my old combo I was getting 22 pounds of boost now I'm only getting 19 pounds. What would be the reason for this.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

You made a change and now the whole system acts a little differently. I wish I had a more logical explanation, but these cars are weird. Logic would tell me the boost would go up from the lack of pressure on the outlet to open the gate from the better flow of the IC. Just turn the controller back up to 22psi. You may be flowing the same amount of air now at 19psi than 22psi before so that could explain it.

where in the intake tract does the boost controller get its pressure signal from?

Mines did the opposite :confused:

I just installed a dutt neck intercooler yesterday. I did not make any changes on my rjc boost controller. On my old combo I was getting 22 pounds of boost now I'm only getting 19 pounds. What would be the reason for this.

Make sure there is no oil/alky/cleaner in the bottom of the IC. Tip it upside down and or shake it. Your boost should have raised with no other changes.

I did clean the intercooler out with oxygen safe carb cleaner twice before the install and I let it dry for 2 days

Better flow, less backpressure?

Since boost is "restriction", James is correct. :)

When you turn your boost setting back to 22 PSI, you will develop more HP since your are supplying more air for combustion.

Also, it follows that with more air you also need more fuel for the added HP, so be sure your entire fuel system is capable of delivering the needed fuel. :cool:

If your gate is a stock configuration and your turbo is not pushing mass flow limits, I would expect to see an increase at the intake manifold. The gate will seek to maintain the turbo outlet pressure constant. The reduced flow restriction would result in higher manifold pressure. If you have some other gate configuration or you were pushing the mass flow limits of the turbo before the change then boost pressure may drop off with the reduced restriction. What parts are you running, I am curious to know?

Think volume, not pressure. The neck increases volume and reduces one heck of a sharp bend.
Not a lot of volume but just enough.

Adjustable wastegate , stock turbo, 3" rjc downpipe, e85, 22 lbs boost

Sent from my PC36100 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

I noticed on my stock turbo that you cannot maintain steady boost thru the rpm range at higher boost with manual boost control. Since you are flowing less air at low rpms then at high rpm, the boost will drop a few pounds as rpms increase to the shift point because the turbo is nearing its mass flow limits. Closed loop boost control has improved this considerably. My guess for your drop is the exhaust pressure required to maintain the same boost level with the increased flow is not a linear relationship with the bleed setting for the controller and the the stock turbo waste gate at the current boost.