Dump the gear and go timing chain?

Its the one i got from Mike so i believe its the latest and greatest and i like the shock loads being absorbed by the belt better than gears myself;) Im pretty sure its perfected sense all the fastest Buick guys are running them now:D
I thought you were all set with a chain? What changed your mind?

Did you happen to see the picture i posted?:eek: Ive been planning on changing to the belt drive but didnt get around to it this year but it will be on the car for next year.Im just going to cross my fingers the chain lives through this summers beatings;)

Did you happen to see the picture i posted?:eek: Ive been planning on changing to the belt drive but didnt get around to it this year but it will be on the car for next year.Im just going to cross my fingers the chain lives through this summers beatings;)
Is this a different chain than the one you were talking about earlier in the thread? Or, is it the same one that you said was perfect earlier, but now took a closer look and found it to actually be defective?
If I had to use a chain, I think I would use the chain with the more link plates in it over the double roller style.

Geardrive or chain drive?
I guess when I posted this video, I should have asked, geardrive, chain drive or belt drive?
I would imagine it would be so much easier to throw a belt on an engine. I wonder why they are bothering with such an elaborate geardrive system with this engine? You would think that a Formula engine design would use the best available system.

I guess when I posted this video, I should have asked, geardrive, chain drive or belt drive?
I would imagine it would be so much easier to throw a belt on an engine. I wonder why they are bothering with such an elaborate geardrive system with this engine? You would think that a formula engine design would use the best available system.

Would it make sense to think that a formula 1 engine does not have the throttle snapped open and closed so much and lives at a more constant higher rpm which in turn can be beneficial to them, but not so much for a quarter mile/street car?

Would it make sense to think that a formula 1 engine does not have the throttle snapped open and closed so much and lives at a more constant higher rpm which in turn can be beneficial to them, but not so much for a quarter mile/street car?
Actually, a Formula 1 engine goes through a lot of rpm changes during the course of a race. Up and down gear changes during cornering. Listen to the sound track that is part of the video. A lot of throttle snapping is going on.

Is this a different chain than the one you were talking about earlier in the thread? Or, is it the same one that you said was perfect earlier, but now took a closer look and found it to actually be defective?
If I had to use a chain, I think I would use the chain with the more link plates in it over the double roller style.
Ya like i said this was a chain i had taken out 3 years ago witch was the last time i had the motor apart. The one i just took out is fine but it sure makes me want to switch to the belt drive:)

The fact that the vast majority of historically significant racing engines used geardrives, and still do, makes me want to stick with the geardrive. There must be good reason to go through the trouble to design and manufacture such a difficult system. Belt drive has been around for decades, yet top end designers will still choose to go through the trouble of incorporating very complex geardrive systems into their engine designs. Why is that?

A gear drive that is incorporated into the design of an F1 engine isn't the same as a moroso bolt on kit. An RCD drive on the front of a fuel motor isn't the same as a moroso kit.

A gear drive that is incorporated into the design of an F1 engine isn't the same as a moroso bolt on kit. An RCD drive on the front of a fuel motor isn't the same as a moroso kit.
A gear is a gear. There are many was to locate them, but it's still just simply mounting gears, right?

I want my money back:)
670-NEW-4000HP.jpg
540-670-PB5001-3750hp.jpg
526-585-5in-BS-Billet-4000HP.jpg

A gear is a gear.

Width, pressure angle, material, internal spline or keyway. No, not all are the same.

There are many was to locate them, but it's still just simply mounting gears, right?

Have you ever seen the inside of a t-5 and a clutchless liberty. The gears are similarly sized, but the mounting and configuration are completely different. A liberty is good for about 5 times the torque. Mounting makes a tremendous difference.

Width, pressure angle, material, internal spline or keyway. No, not all are the same.

Have you ever seen the inside of a t-5 and a clutchless liberty. The gears are similarly sized, but the mounting and configuration are completely different. A liberty is good for about 5 times the torque. Mounting makes a tremendous difference.
You took my comment to a very basic level. Yes, I understand that there is a science all its own where it comes to gears.
What I meant by mounting, was simply setting up the gear mesh. We can discuss applications and designs if you'd like. It's amazing that an automatic transmission geartrain can take much more torque than a typical manual transmission. Multiple meshing points and dividing the load. A good reason why the liberty does what it can do.

I would have thought NASCAR would have gear drives if its that much of a no brainier ..
hrdp_0803_01_zchevy_nascar_engine.jpg

Yes I run oddfire. One thing that makes mine different from most is Im driving a good sized fuel pump directly off the front of the cam. I believe that provides enough resistance/drag that it helps with keeping tension on the belt. A friend of mine used to run a Jenkins v6 chevy in super stock. It would eat belts up , so they eventually went to a gear drive. Problem was driving it around!! At low RPM that belt is not happy. It would always break the belt on the return road ideling back. I also idle mine at 1200+ RPM which also helps. The dannyBee belt drive also uses a 1.375" belt instaed of the jesel 1" belt and now were using kevlar belts on top of that.
Mike
It's already been pointed out, more than once from different sources, that the V6 engine has a unique problem associated with them where it comes to driving the camshaft. Are we now discussing V8s instead of V6s? 'Cause if you're building your V6 because of what they're doing with V8s...

Let's see some V6 examples, people.

Let me ask this. Why has the belt, used with a V6, gone through this new design change that ended up with it being made wider and having to be reinforced with kevlar? Has anyone else bothered to ask themself that question?
My sense of this is telling me that there must be a strength issue.

If a belt is being used to absorb some of these harmonic forces that are associated with the V6, then what is the limit of these forces that the belt is capable of handling? Was this recent belt redesign done because these forces could not be handled by the previous design level? What sort of testing has been done to assure that this new belt design level can handle these forces?
V6, people. Not V8. V6.

I would have thought NASCAR would have gear drives if its that much of a no brainier ..
hrdp_0803_01_zchevy_nascar_engine.jpg
Don't forget. Those engines only need to last 500 miles. Then the engine is replaced.
I'm still using the same geardrive that I started out with years ago (2005).

Ya V6 guys running belts dont have a clue.. :rolleyes: And i still have the same chain in my street car sense 2006 :D