dumb question

The Don

Banned
prolly a dumb question but how come no one used the already fuel injected lt1series motors, they are the same as a conventional gen I chevy 350, they have aluminum heads, iron block, make good hp, and a easly obtainable...the only differance is the' reverse cooled heads, but they mount up the same and they have pre-existing turbo kits for them? Wouldn't that be considerabley cheaper and easier?

The blocks are stout. One downfall is the opti-spark system. They don't use a distributor and have proven un-reliable in a high hp application. Bob Bailey makes a kit to swap the Lt1 to coil on plug. Depending on what your goals are it could be an option.

You may want to give us your goals and we can suggest some options.

On the Lt1 header kit. They are for an F-body so there's pretty much 0% chance it'll fit a G-body. I have some headers at the house for an F-body and they are no where close to fitting.

I have headers,crossover,and downpipe that were in a Malibu with a SBC with the turbo located on the passengers side,,can anyone tell me if these headers will fit an LT1,they are for a basic SBC,will post pics soon...
Thanks Dennis :D

lt1s do not make good motors for anything stock. the pistons are very light and brittle, with a high top ring land that will break very easily. combine that with high compression and an opti-spark, its disaster. but with a good shortblock they can take a very good amount of power and the open plenum design intake works very well with forced induction.
Gary

I have headers,crossover,and downpipe that were in a Malibu with a SBC with the turbo located on the passengers side,,can anyone tell me if these headers will fit an LT1,they are for a basic SBC,will post pics soon...
Thanks Dennis :D

I think the LT1 used a D shaped exhaust port but the bolt pattern is the same. They should bolt up but I'm not sure if the ports are in a different location than the old sbc. I bet the fit or at least come close, crossover may have to be slightly worked but should be no big deal.

The blocks are stout. One downfall is the opti-spark system. They don't use a distributor and have proven un-reliable in a high hp application. Bob Bailey makes a kit to swap the Lt1 to coil on plug. Depending on what your goals are it could be an option.

You may want to give us your goals and we can suggest some options.

On the Lt1 header kit. They are for an F-body so there's pretty much 0% chance it'll fit a G-body. I have some headers at the house for an F-body and they are no where close to fitting.

Dusty is correct, the LT1 optispark is junk, but the LTCC kit with LS1 coils works awesome, I have been running it for over a year with my FAST system. The optispark is then only used for a reference for firing the coils. The LT1 block is only ~5lbs lighter then a Dart block so its VERY stout and has already proven to go low 8's@ almost 180mph or so without any problems. Standard SBC headers will bolt right up and the only hitch is heads, which now Trick Flow and AFR, both have castings which will flow 300+CFM. Several folks are making 1000rwhp + reliably with the LT1/LT4 blocks.

Also one thing is, if you don't want to run an opti you can swap to a conventional distributor and just install a crank trigger. Alot of guys are doing this that use LT1's in swaps. The F-body guys can't since the distributor hits the cowl.

IntakeWhite6.JPG

lt1 twins

hi!! i have a lt1 we are putting twin 60mm turbos on !! in stock form they are not boost freindly and the opti is a pain in itself. if you are planning on buying a complete forged bottom end for the lt1 it can be made to handle boost,although in my opinion the opti must go it is too tempremental and never works right!!not sure of your power goals but by the time you buy everthing to make the lt1 boost freindly it is far from cheap!!!!!!!

lt1/lt4...if I were rich lt5 lol

hmmm well as odd as this may sound I wanna have a extremely relaible, low boost car that car be daily driven. The lt1 makes 280hp in stock form! With moderate boost, alky, mild cam, big single turbo, decent front mount intercooler, decent fuel system and intake/exhaust system 650rwhp-900rwhp should be obtainable! I really want streetablity. I really want something I can drive that won't be tempermental!

Duriblity wouldn't really be an issue, most build the motors from the short block up anyways right? It can be had for cheap, they have alot of aftermarket and the are efi! Not to metion alot of things are interchangeable between a convention SBC and the TPI/LT1 motors!

I think the LT1 used a D shaped exhaust port but the bolt pattern is the same. They should bolt up but I'm not sure if the ports are in a different location than the old sbc. I bet the fit or at least come close, crossover may have to be slightly worked but should be no big deal.

The exhaust does use the same bolting as a typical sbc. I actually run g body header's on my lt1 impala since no one makes a set that is affordable. The ports sit slightly higher in the head, but is really only a problem if your running big long tubes that barely clear the frame etc. For a ten second street car the lt1 rocks, but for something over 700hp I would think about a gen1 sbc aftermarket block. People have made over a 1000 to the wheels with a lt1 block, but sooner or later the mains will give.

lt1 vs ls1

hmmm low 10 sec street car would be about what I'm looking to get! I wanna try and retain as many creature comforts as possible!
I'm also thinking about using one of those lsx 6.0 truck motors, I would try and keep things as budget oriented as possible!