remanufactured engine question

COOPER12

pardon the dumb question.
is there any difference between the 81-83 3.8 n/a short block motors as opposed to the turbo 3.8 short block?
or is it just component differnces ?

also are the heads all the same between 81 and b3? I found some rebuilt heads off a 82 sportcoupe pretty cheap. I might be getting a project minus the motor and tranny.

Internals are different but the rest is pretty much the same from 78 up. 78 heads are low port and that's the only ones you don't want. The better heads are the later castings with either 293 or 8445 as the last digits. The water passages on the end of the head have a bridged section and the earlier ones have an open section on the end.

the heads I see are ending in 6293 would these bolt right up to a 78 motor?
I am looking at the 81 but may of found a 78 motor and trans with 65k miles. could I just throw these heads on it easily

ok so on the motor you couldnt just order a remaunfactured short block and be ok.

If you're planing on a completely stock turbo, boost level. ect, then an NA will work since there isn't much power added. If you want to do like some of us and go with a non stock turbo and higher than stock boost then a rebuilt or NA engine won't hold up. Do you plan on a daily driver or weekend cruiser or do you want to try some racing with it?

no would be a weekend car. would like to get it to about 200 hp and 300 ft
with a nice exhaust
thats about it. these 82 rebuilt heads are only 150.00 and I found a 83 intake and turbo set up in good shape for 350.00

I thought you already had the 82 SC. Is the engine blown or missing? 200 HP isn't that hard to get since the engine and set up are almost there. Have you looked at wwwbeforeblack.net yet? Rich's site may help you understand things a little better. We've even had 1 B4black car make it into the 11's so far.

I've got enough parts to set you up if you want but a little info will help. Are you planning on using the stock puter to control detonation and timing or are you wanting to go the original way with just a turbo control center and knock sensor?

I am looking at buying a 81 turbo coupe.
it has no engine or tranny

I found a 78 complete turbo motor with 65k locally. needs a rebuild though.
I also saw a set of rebuilt 1982 heads for 150.00 I thought this seemed like a real good deal. just wondering if I should go grab those.

was planning on a stock computer. I have been checking out b4 black as well.

I guess I am wondering if I went a remanufactured n/a short block setup would handle those numbers and be cheaper than rebuilding the 78 turbo motor I saw .

I did see that I would have to use different exhaust manifolds if I switch to 82 heads if I went with the 78 motor
saw this on the beforeblack site

Rebuilding one of these engines isn't cheap and most "rebuilders" don't get the clearances right on the mains and rods. I'd see if the guy with the 78 will take the heads and pan off so you can see the condition of the internals. If the bores are good and no ridge then all you'd need to do is have the crank checked and polished/ground and maybe the rods sized. Bolt the heads on and go for it. The drawback you'll have is with the 81 system. Since it was one of the first computer systems it's very rudimentary to say the least. The 82-83 units are more advanced. That being said, you'd be better off with the 78-79 system since it's simpler and mostly mechanical with minor electronics.

Out of curiosity, where are you located? If you're in the NJ area I know of an 81 that might be for sale by one of our members, and it's a running car.

I am in Northern California so across the country lol. I will have to chew on the motor choices. it had a v-8 most recently but I want to get a turbo back in it.

i like the idea of simple and less electronic. More my style lol

That's a bit far then. LOL Since you're in kalifornication do you have to go through emission inspections? That might limit what you can do to some degree.

I would look for a complete turbo motor, but avoid 1978 because of the low port heads (and matching manifolds). You're not looking so much for the block & internals, but for all the turbo specific bolt-on parts you'll need. If you can get ALL the turbo stuff, but the block (or with a bad block), then look for a 4.1 long block (for the extra displacement). I wouldn't worry about NA vs. Turbo long blocks on a stock to mild build. Differences in 1979 & later heads are minor, IMO.

Does the '81 car still have any of the computer controls - like the ECM and the passenger side wiring harness?

Piecing together a smog compliant 1981 motor might be tricky.

it has the ecm and wiring harness but am told it does not have the smog stuff which I can't seem to find anywhere either

The heads will fit right on. The 3.8 and 4.1 are indentical outside. The 4.1 just has a larger bore & pistons.

Since you need meet smog laws, then I would set it up with the '81 ECM and wiring (I doubt you have he option of using oldr 1978/79 controls anyway). Biggest part of the emissions is the AIR (smog) pump, tubing and valves. In Illinois we didn't have a visual check, just a dyno. I switched to catalytic convertor that didn't use the AIR tube, removed the pump & stuff and still passed with flying colors. In CA, if you need that visually, then findng a compelte 1981 is the best route. A 1982 or 83 might be doable as well.

1981 Chevy Turbo Monte Carlos used the same motor as the Regal Sport Coupe if that helps.

Or another route would be a 1984/85 SFI Turbo set up. A little more work, but it seems these years are easier to find and reasonably priced when owners upgrade to 86/87 Intercooled motors. I assume CA allows swaps to newer engines.