Dual feeding the direct clutches..

Leave out the center lip seal in the drum(the one on the drum not the piston) leave out the center sealing ring on the center support,and use an allen bolt with a washer to bolt in the center support on the right side (looking at trans upside down from the tail side)but leave the stock bolt in the left side.

Originally posted by KLHAMMETT
Leave out the center lip seal in the drum(the one on the drum not the piston) leave out the center sealing ring on the center support,and use an allen bolt with a washer to bolt in the center support on the right side (looking at trans upside down from the tail side)but leave the stock bolt in the left side.

so the bolt would go on the tv cable side ?

Blocks the feed to the circuit, you can weld the hole(in hte bolt) closed if you like, but make sure its welded good, you dont want any loosed weld to fall out

Is there any down side to this procedure?

Most things in life seem to involve some sort of trade off/compromise.

A.G.

There is really no downside to this mod in a trans with a good aftermarket forward drum. Almost ALL GM trans need this mod done to prevent burning the 3rd gear clutches in hi-performance applications.
TH400's, TH350's etc..

I'm sure there is some affect on apply since it has a larger area to fill, but this can be overcome with normal calibration.

TransGo kits dual feed a Th350 and 400, and every shift kit I have used dual feeds a Th350...

Once you get to the point powerwise that you need to dual feed, you woudl also need to install the good forward drum from CK performance or PTS.

A WOT 2-3 shift with the stock forward drum and dual fed directs can break the forward drum.

I dual fed my 2-3 clutches last time i rebuilt the tranny, and couldn't have been happier, i pulled the tranny because 3rd gear started slipping after a few high boost passes at the track. So I dual fed them with new alto clutches and stock steels, and it has held very well with over 65 passes on and 10,000 hard street miles with no slipping at WOT and a nice firm but not harsh shift at part throttle. And i do have the billet forward drum and along with the rest of the billet internals available for the 200. Good luck with it:D

you must open the third accumulator hole in the seperator plate to avoid a bind up on the 2/3 shift.this occurs if the direct clutch comes on before the band is knocked off.glad some have found this tech usefull.

Is this a worthwhile mod while trans is apart for a slightly over stock application?

paul

In my opinion yes it is, unless you still have the stock drum in there, if its a billet upgraded unit, then it is worth it, but it will snap a stocker pretty quick

Well my drum is stock so I think I will not do the dual feed and take a chance of breaking it.
Thanks

paul

What affects does this mod have for a daily driver? Why is it not all of the top builders do this mod unless you run a trans brake?

Dannyo

Its not reall related to brake,but recommended,It can be done to a daily driver,whcih give a great 3rd gera apply,But its hard on hte forward drum so at minimum a hardened drum is recommended,But if you builder doesnt do it correctly it wont work properly,I do it to all 2004rs i build no matter race or not

why doesnt everyone do it?good q.we spent many years playing around with it until we found a happy medium.others out there may not have found this path worth exploring ,buy we have.its not smart not to do it in my opinion.need the drum though.never had a stock drum live either when dual feeding even with smooth shift quality.but then again i was making big hp downstairs and through the whole rpm range.im smoked,going to bed.

threadsfromthecrypt.jpg

Yes I know this thread is from 2004, but i couldn't find any newer threads with pics for
what I'm about to ask about the 3rd tip here in dual feeding the clutches
Leave out the center lip seal in the drum(the one on the drum not the piston) leave out the center sealing ring on the center support,

I understand this part.....
and use an allen bolt with a washer to bolt in the center support on the right side (looking at trans upside down from the tail side)but leave the stock bolt in the left side.

Does anyone have a reference picture of what this is referring to EXACTLY ??
I've watched my DVD several times to look for this but don't know what this
tip is referring to on the trans exactly.