DSL or Cable?

WakkoSS

Well, I'm moving and need one or the other. I like the DSL I'm using now, but I have to have a phone line to use it and I really don't need a house phone. If I go with cable, I won't even have a house phone. Ideas?

i have cable and wouldn't recommend anything else. According to DSLreports.com with my cable system i dl 3000kb/sec, yes thats right 3mb/sec:D No way that could ever be done with dsl.

Cable is the way to go.. I just went with VoIP or Voice over the Internet.. NO MORE BELLSOUTH OR "BS"

Right here in Anderson, IN....cable = 47.00$ p/month
dsl = 21.00$ p/month

If money is no object, then go with cable. I'm willing to wait the extra few seconds on the dsl and save the 26$ a month..good luck

i have cable now, and have had it for 2 years. it was great when i first got it, but it is getting progressively slower. the problem is, the market is gettig flooded by too many users, all using the same transmission line. with dsl, you are using your OWN phone line. a buddy of mine in the same area just switched to cav-tel dsl and is very happy with it. says it is twice as fast as the cable was. i will be switching myself soon!

Having had both I would recommend cable for the most part. DSL has some advantage. Usually the cheaper cost is for a "slower" tier of DSL. You can upgrade it and get a guarenteed speed usually if you don't live too far from the relay station. That means if you want...you can pay a butt load and get SUPER speed but is there really any need. The low cost option tends to be slower than cable so it isn't really that great. The worst thing is the set up for DSL...bad customer service and it takes about a month for them to get it up and going.

Cable, on the other hand, is very reliable and easy to set up. The speed varies a little with traffic but probably nothing that will piss you off. I would say it's just more "user friendly."

Kev :)

Originally posted by trbojo
i have cable now, and have had it for 2 years. it was great when i first got it, but it is getting progressively slower. the problem is, the market is gettig flooded by too many users, all using the same transmission line. with dsl, you are using your OWN phone line. a buddy of mine in the same area just switched to cav-tel dsl and is very happy with it. says it is twice as fast as the cable was. i will be switching myself soon!

Cable may be subject to slow downs because they overcrowd a particular Node...I am lucky,3 years and still Blazing Fast...DSlReports....Over 8000KB/sec.... 8MB per sec Down And 0ver 1mb/Sec UP..I have optonline...From Cablevision..Before people jump on and say im nuts,And there is no way to get those speeds go to dslreports and read up on cablevision...There are people there going alot faster than that...

Now to dispell the Myth about DSL not suffering the same problems some cable subscribers have with Slowdowns due to overcrowding....

You are only on Your phone line with DSL until you hit the "CO" ...Once there,you are subject to the same slow downs as cable if it gets congested...Same problem,Just a little further down the line..But if you know cable in your area is already overcrowded,DSL would be your best choice!!

Im going to put a screenshot up of my SpeedTest results in the folder in my sig...Check it out if you want...

I say go with DSL, of course i work for Bellsouth and you'd be paying me some cash. As for slowing down at the CO, never heard of that. Can you explain that to me better? It may depend on how your service is supplied to you from the CO. Whether it be straight copper, or thru some remote terminals and maybe even some fiber optics runs. Usually the more mux/demux the slower it will be. I know the area i live in sux for the cable slowdowns at 5pm.

Scott

comcast cable here...LOVE it...can't STAND dialup!!! i get on my g/f's computer alot and she has dialup...my god i can't believe i used to have that sh!t!!!! i think a honda civic with a fart can can go faster than dialup! well maybe it's not THAT slow:D

for speed test go dslreports.com

i think you have to sign up and dl a speed test java app. but once its installed you can test as many times as you want.