DS cable insulation help

Mac

Guys,

I'm sure this has been asked before.

I heard of some type of insulation you can purchase to cover the DS cable. I've never had a problem with mine until the other day when I rerouted the cable. My car would barely start and idled like crap. I moved the cable and reset the ECM and the car was back to normal. Is the cable interfering with the ECM? Just curious what causes this problem. Also, do I contact DS about the cable or is this something I can locally for a minimal amount of money?

Thanks for any help,

I have heard of issues where the plug to the ecm gets pushed too far on, causing issues like you described. Folks put some type of "gasket" (pice of cardboard) on the ecm board, which limits how far the ribbon cable can be pushed on.
I can't imagine that something happened to the "printer" cable, which caused these problems...could be wrong though:confused:

If your cable is slipping too far onto the connector in the ECM, the symptoms you mentioned will happen.

Easiest thing to do, is to get a little strip of rubber (like from an old wiper) and cut a small piece and stick it down in the ECM connector of the DS cable. This will make sure that the ECM stands off of the connector far enough. You might have to experiment a bit with the thickness of the rubber piece but you'll figure it out. Little hint, smaller is better (to an extent).

Guys,

Thanks for the help. This will help if I'm out somewhere and it happens.

chu will add an emi sheild to your cable if you send it back to him, he only charges shipping to do it i believe. if you contact him he is really helpful with that stuff.