Drum Brakes

Knux65

Ok guys, I've never worked on drums before. With that said, I'm wondering, is it feasible to gather all of the parts and assemble them on a bench? I'd hate to crack open the rear brakes only to find out I'm in over my head. Advice?

Just do one side at a time to look at the other side !! Ps I hate them!!! But you can just takes a little while atleast for me!!!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

X2 on the one side at a time. Also you might get the tool that installs and removes the springs from their post. Just makes things easier, or at least it does for me.
Don't be skeered, nothing too much under there. Cleanliness, a pic or two before disassembly wouldn't hurt, and be sure to understand the adjusters. I disassemble clean and put some grease under the cap and never seize on the threads. Don't get your grreasy mitts on the shoe surface. You might pick up two sets and use the long shoes through out if you drag race. Gives more holding power at the line.

I've never had all the special tools. An auto parts store will loan them to you. This video is almost identical to a G body's rear brakes.

drum brakes a snap to replace. All the part stores sell the 3 tools you need. The spring tool and the shoe spring Hold down remover/installer and the adjuster. You can get by without the tools but its easier and safer with the tools. A .before Picture good Idea for first timers be sure to lube the adjuster and you will need to do an pre adjustment before putting the wheel on. Adjust until drum goes on a bit snug and you can spin it with just a bit of drag. Aways good idea to pump brakes a few times after you think you are adusted and recheck for drag as the shoes will always move to the center after a brake pump. There is an access on the back of the drum to adjust if the wheel is on for final adjustment.

Clean the old parts before the taking them off then take a picture, the springs are color coordinated its not as hard as people make it out to be.

So I guess I'm overthinking it... I just wouldn't want to put the car out of commission because of a mistake. Thanks for the responses so far.

Never hurts to ask questions. Lots of other videos on line to look at too. Get the hardware kit and replace ALL the springs. I never reuse any of the old hardware. The harware kit is inexpensive so no need to reuse the old stuff.

Parts list
•Backing plate
•Shoes
•Drums
•Cylinders
•Springs
Am I missing anything here? Or is anything else worth replacing?

Unless your backing plates are warped, there's no reason to replace them. Just put a smear of grease on the bosses the shoes ride on. Also what might be easier is to assemble the shoes with adjuster and springs on the bench and then "spread" them over the axle and put the hold down springs (round ones) on and then the long springs last. You might consider replacing the rubber brake line as it's 27 plus years old. Also check out the sticky "bleeding the powermaster" Cheers!

Thanks for the tips. This has actually been a snowball effect from my switch to vacuum. At first I wanted the natural cast look. 2 years later, I'm seeing surface rust, so I decide to pull it and paint the booster black. As I'm bleeding the brakes, I notice the leaking drum. SSBC calipers are next along with braided lines. I just can't decide if I want the black or natural calipers :/

you'll find it a cinch by starting with the ebrake and shoes first and then you'll see its just like a puzzle fitting the pieces in pushing and pulling here and there. no bench reqd. new hardware kit might be a good idea or new pins the least. gl.

Next question: Raybestos from Rockauto, or Autozone brand? The parts would be the same price, however shipping from Rockauto would be about $30.00.

I replaced my drums with Advance Auto cheapies. The were either drilled incorrectly, not balanced or both. Shook the Hell out of the car.

Update: Everything is assembled, adjusted, bled, and running. I definitely feel more bite from the rear. The second side was a cake walk after fighting with the first. The wheel cylinder and it's... Retaining ring... Were a huge pain. I want to thank all those that helped. And for future searchers, I dug this up
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1400190604.525155.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1400190616.522452.jpg