Drive's side header

chrisgn6

Decided to remove the driver's side header today. I was afraid, I admit that. Thought I would break a bolt off! But I took my time and with the help of penetrating oil, they all came out very easy. I used my Sears gearwrench pass through socket set.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 146
Decided to remove the driver's side header today. I was afraid, I admit that. Thought I would break a bolt off! But I took my time and with the help of penetrating oil, they all came out very easy. I used my Sears gearwrench pass through socket set.
and.. does it need to be welded? What am I saying... of course it does. Well done on not breaking anything.

Thanks. Saving some money and get some headers. What do you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. Saving some money and get some headers. What do you recommend?

I don't know what your build looks like, and this is a slightly debatable subject but I am not sure headers will yield much result for you. I have stock headers on my car and have seen plenty of 10 second cars with stock headers, for the money on these engines there are MUCH better ways to spend your money. FWIW, having it welded should cost less then $100, and you should be good to go for a while.

and you should be good to go for a while.

Key here. How often do you want to do this?
I have 3 sets of stock headers. 2 have been welded, and 1 has cracked a 2nd time. 1 just came off of my car. It's cracked so bad, it's junk...
I just ordered a replacement from Nick Micale @ AZ GN. I then had both sides coated, along w/ the x over and dp.
If you are doing aftermkt headers, there's a few threads on the chinese junk vs T/A...

Key here. How often do you want to do this?
I have 3 sets of stock headers. 2 have been welded, and 1 has cracked a 2nd time. 1 just came off of my car. It's cracked so bad, it's junk...
I just ordered a replacement from Nick Micale @ AZ GN. I then had both sides coated, along w/ the x over and dp.
If you are doing aftermkt headers, there's a few threads on the chinese junk vs T/A...

I should have been more detailed in my response. I had mine welded the first time last year, then again this year when I had each gusset re-welded for strength.

I did have my stock re welded and I put it back on the same day. I'm still only seeing 10 psi boost. My car is stock. What do I look for now? Passenger side header, vacuum lines?

I did have my stock re welded and I put it back on the same day. I'm still only seeing 10 psi boost. My car is stock. What do I look for now? Passenger side header, vacuum lines?

If you are only producing 10# of boost, there are a few areas I would check for starters. I can't even say there is a most obvious starting point since I cannot see the engine. But I can tell you vacuum leaks will rob you of boost as will the waste gate. If your vacuum lines are all original, chances are you have a leak of some sort, I swapped ALL of my vacuum lines (I had a bad vacuum block as well). And my engine was clean as a whistle, NEVER would have guessed it had a problem. There is a vacuum line from the waste gate that joins a "T" that was also cracked on mine.

If you can say for sure the vacuum lines are good I would check the waste gate. Both for properly seating and that it is adjusted properly. When is the last time it made 16#

The vacuum lines are still stock. I plan to change them and was trying to look up the correct sizes without taking them all off and going to the parts store. I have an adjustable waste gate that I also plan to put on once i pin point my problem. I haven't seen 16 in a few months. The car has been sitting up. Pressed for time but need to get my TR BACK UP AND RUNNING.

The vacuum lines are still stock. I plan to change them and was trying to look up the correct sizes without taking them all off and going to the parts store. I have an adjustable waste gate that I also plan to put on once i pin point my problem. I haven't seen 16 in a few months. The car has been sitting up. Pressed for time but need to get my TR BACK UP AND RUNNING.

So you are describing the same thing I experienced. Mine sat for a while, boost degraded from 17# down to about 10-12, culprit was more than 4 major leaks in the vacuum lines. I hope you get it fixed soon and are able to enjoy it!