Driver's seat = rocking chair. :(

DJay

GN Novice.
This problem happened on my 87 IROC as well ... the front bracket under the drivers seat broke. This isnt a missing bolt; the metal AROUND the bolt gave way.

Had to weld my old one, but it was never straight. Any suggestions on where to find either a new genuine GN seat or a replacement for the 2 front seats that looks similiar (but are more comfortable)?

TIA You guys are the best ...

I'm also interested in this as my driver's seat did the EXACT same thing. I ended up using an old water neck hold down clamp to make something that worked, but it's not right and holding on by a thread right now.

Derrick

Mine is currently broken as well. Sitting in the seat, the left rear bracket that the little stem comes up and is attached to on the seat is cracked and broken. That corner of the seat moves up and down, and it makes noise every time I turn and weight shifts and it moves. Kind of a PITA, but I dont know how to fix it, other then to replace the whole power seat unit.

Is it possible to convert the power driver seat to a manual seat? Doesnt it just involve changing the tracks on the floor and the bottom of the seat itself? Anyone thats done this conversion, please chime in. Power seat isnt that big of a deal to me.

wait a sec

does the seat part have ANY metal parts on the bottom of it at all?!? Or is it just the tracks that are broken?!

thx again

Sometimes the bolts where the track bolts to the seat come loose, but this isnt the case with me. I think its a two-part design. I think theres something thats mounted in the bottom of the seat that hooks up with the tracks on the floor board. I'm not sure honestly. Havent taken mine apart. Anyone know about this?

The Seats, and Seat Tracks can be separated.

Remove your seat with the tracks still attached, and it should just be 4 bolts to remove the track. However you may need to put the track in the full back position, removed the bolts, and then connect the power back to move it to the full front position to get to the rear bolts.

I've never had this problem happen to me but I'm having a problem comprehending what is actually broken on your seats. I am assuming you are talking about the stamped steel seat bottom and not the adjusters themselfs? If it is the bottom seat frame than they are the same ones used on 82-92 Camaro-Firebird and 82-89 Cavalier and other GM J-bodies. The backs might be different on some of the years but the bottoms never changed. Some use different foam pads so transfer your old one over with the seat cover. And left and right use the same frame .

Eric Fisher

Mine actually broke on the seat track. The piece that the seat bolts to. Right where the front outside bolt goes through the seat track actually split in two. I'm using a hose clamp and waterneck hold down clamp to keep it together right now. For the G forces these cars can excert on people, I have to say I don't think GM did their homework on this small piece of the car... ;)

Derrick

It's been a while since my D/S (power, by the way) bracket broke completely so my recollection is going to be pretty vague here. The seat was wobbly for quite a while before it finally broke completely loose. I recall removing the bracket/slide, disassembling it and taking to a local welder (it must be aluminum otherwise I would have welded it up myself) to fix and beef it up so it wouldn't happen again for a really long time. I think I had him add an aluminum plate to reinforce the area that broke. Anyway, I haven't had a problem since.

So, the original bracket is only good for about 10 years or 125000 miles of pushing back in the seat (to get stuff out of your pocket, mash on the gas or brake pedal, etc.) - an okay design but could be better. The bracket is repairable by a competent aluminum welder. The bracket can be reinforced to extend its life beyond another 10 years or 125000 miles.

Buzz White in Houston, TX (sumnerw@flash.net)

Grdnatl, yes when I replaced my seats I bought power, swapped tracks so I could use my manual brackets. 4 bolts holding track to seat.