Downpipe gasket???

gn87turbo

Just noticed this weekend that my Terry Houston downpipe is leaking to the TE 44 turbo. What are the best gaskets out there? I found a copper one but didnt know how they hold up. Thanks,
Patrick

I'm running copper gaskets at the turbo and the test pipe. Both have been removed and installed a couple times. No leaks.

I just with through this with my THDP and TA60. I had a machine shop resurface my THDP with a belt sander, then they recommended using a stone to make sure the turbo flange was straight. Picked one up from Ace hardware and worked the face of the turbo and kept bolting up the downpipe and checking gaps with a feeler gauge. Ended up with a small area at the very bottom where I could only fit a .003 feeler gauge. Put a smear of ultra copper on both the turbo and downpipe mating surfaces and no leaks since. This problem drove me crazy. Tried a composite gasket and got bad turbo lag because the wastegate puck couldn't seal flush, then tried a copper gasket and it pulled the threads out of a turbo bolt hole before it would compress, then had to helicoil it.

My leak is also at the very bottom sort of in a corner spot. I may have more problems now because yesterday I tried tightening up the bolts and the bottom right one appears to be stripped out. Any suggestions for that? I'll start with the gasket from TR Custom Parts and see if that works.

Did you read my previous post? I know the gasket will fix the leak, those gaskets are awesome. Although if the wastgate puck can't seal you will lose power.

Having the same problems as above with a stripped bolt . My question is once I have the copper gasket tight it still appears to have a gap around it . I know it has a ring around the wastegate hole and compressor hole is it normal to have the gap like these or do I just need to tighten more don't want to strip another bolt out

I read it houtx87, i will be taking your advice this weekend as i start to tackle this problem. Thanks for the help.