Does anyone here own TTA with VIN # 1G5FW2177KL

3TURBOS

Does anyone here own TTA with VIN # 1G5FW2177KL239263

I had bought this car new on 4/20/89 and had it until it had Dec 1989 or Jan 1990. It had a starting problem and the dealer could not repair it. They took it back with 13,000 hard miles on it and gave me a new one that I still own that has 67,000 miles on it.

I never really followed up on what they did with it or what the real problem was. It could not have been that serious, but they had it in the shop for weeks and and the Pontiac zone manager got involved and arranged for a new car when I threatened to contact a lawyer. The service manager told me they were taking it back up north to GM.

Thanks

close

Dsc00080.jpg

Really close!

1G5FW2179KL241127

Now If I could just get the history on her, It would put my mind at ease. Still don't know what is done to the tranny. I do know it was out. Whoever replaced the hard lines with fittings and braided lines and my TC cover is missing.

Aren't we looking for the last six digits of the VIN. Thats what I thought was the build sequence was ??????

There used to be a website and registry for 20th Anniv TTA owners, but it doesn't seem to work anymore.
http://www.li.net/~rsalerno/ttahome.htm
Anyone know what happened to the registry??
May try asking around at www.turbotransam.com
and everyones first 11 digits are going to be near the same, its the last 6 that matter. There used to be a site that you could enter your VIN# in and it would tell you the build number of your TTA.

Can you tell me exactly what the problem envolved?

I have a 89 TTA VIN #1G5FW2176KL239268. Somewhat similar to the one you posted.

My car will usually start when it is cold (not been running for sometime). If I get it to operating temperature and shut it off, it will not restart. Not a heat soaked starter. It cranks but acts as if it is getting no fuel. If I add a "little" squirt of starter fluid into a vacuum line on the TB then it will start right up.

I have had many mechanics look at it and none were able to fix it. Two were able to determine that the computer is not grounding the injectors properly so that I am not getting fuel. But they do not know why. :confused:

So I am going to add a NOS fuel sprayer to the TB and a trigger to squirt some gas in when this occurs.

This is a very annoying problem to an otherwise mint TTA with only 13,000 miles. :mad:

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Originally posted by 2QUIK6
There used to be a website and registry for 20th Anniv TTA owners, but it doesn't seem to work anymore.
http://www.li.net/~rsalerno/ttahome.htm
Anyone know what happened to the registry??
May try asking around at www.turbotransam.com
and everyones first 11 digits are going to be near the same, its the last 6 that matter. There used to be a site that you could enter your VIN# in and it would tell you the build number of your TTA.

http://www.turbotransam.com/Registry.htm

My Pontiac! It seems that you have either one or multiple ground problems. Check the grounds on the back of the block to make sure they are secure. Second take a test light to one of the injectors, it will pulse if it is getting the command from the ecm. Are there any other electrical problems(lights don't work/cutout,etc.) Most of the grounds are tied together so if you don't have cranking problems or other electrical snafoos it prolly isn't a ground.

There could be another problem associated with it.

The cam sensor could be going. Also the crank sensor is a place to look.

I would look at the injectors first. Test them to see if they have power. If they don't(you'll have to find the pinout in the ecm to test the connection) you'll have to look at the other components associated with the ecm injector firing commands. For example does the ecm need the input from the cam sensor or crank sensor to fire the injectors? If you have a scanmaster You may be able to see if the ecm is commanding the injector pintle to open by reading the pulsewidth length(ms) miliseconds.....

Hope this helps.........................................

All of the grounds have been relocated to a new firewall ground block. No fix here.

Cam and crank sensors have been changed. No fix here.

So much has been done and checked down to a new ECM that I hate to even think about it.

If I can get around it with a NOS gas sprayer then I need to.

Hate to think of the car dying in an intersection and having no way to start it other than getting out and using starter fluid.

I will pay anyone in the New Orleans area $500 plus any needed parts to fix it.

Thanks.

have ou checked to see if the ecm is firing the injectors? Take a test light and pierce the wire on the inj. crank the car it should pulse when it is firing. If that doesn't happen it might be the ecm........

mypontiac,

someone sent me a car fax on my old car and it is now in Florida. Don't know who has it. As for your problem, it seems identical to the problem mine had. It would usually start cold but then not re-start if warm, or extremely long crank time. Spraying in the vacuum liine would work to start it. I never found out what the problem was when Pontiac took it back. Carfax shows it being sold a year later at auction with about 4,000 more miles on it than when they took it.

Someone suggested to me recently that the oil pressure sending unit may have been the culpritof the hard start. Might give it a check.

Make sure that when you turn the key on, without starting it, that you hear the fuel pump energize. The fuel pump should energize each time if the car has been turned off for more than a minute or two. Could be the relay.