does anyone have a Trailblazer SS?

GSX-PKV

I'm cosidering buying a Trilablazer SS and was wodering if anyone on the board has one. I want to occasionally tow my car on my open trailer and read it has a towing load of 6700 lbs. I was wondering if anyone has an experience towing with one. It sure would look bad-ass with a black TB SS towing my WE4!

I work for GM and have spent some time in a few, but I surely wouldn't expect it to like towing that kind of weight. My 03 Avalanche was definitely strained towing my T Type about 300 miles round trip. If you do decide to tow that kind of weight, make damn sure the trailer has brakes and you've got a nice hitch.

There is one thing the TBSS hauls well....ASS. these things are quick lil boogers

That's way too much weight for a Trailblazer SS to tow. Its a muscle truck, not a work truck.

We looked at them before deciding on our Yukon Denali. While I admire the powertrain of the Trailblazer SS, and like its looks, overall it felt small and cheap inside, next to the Denali.

Since I already have two toys (the Firehawk and the GN), I decided to be more practical, and bought the Denali.

For towing a GN (or anything significant for that matter), I wouldn't consider anything less than one of the full size GM trucks or SUVs.

(I think if you find out the towing capacity of the Trailblazer SS, it won't be near enough for a GN and trailer combo, which I would estimate would be somewhere near 5500-6000 lbs).

(just re read the original post, I'm really surprised that the SS has a towing capacity that high. I would expect that to put a huge strain on the transmission and brakes, if you are hauling anything near that weight, for any more than short distances on flat terrain. Not something I would want to put a nice little truck like the SS through. Just my 2 cents).

buy an extended cab Duramax and do some mods....exhaust, chip, intake, alky/propane inj. and tow 8500# WHILE running a 13 sec. 1/4 mile!!!!!

Paul i got one a drive the crap out of it runs real good. As for towing i thought about towing my buick to the track just to see how it does.

Remember it has 4:10 gear same as my o4 z71 that i use now with no problems at all and down 100 horses too.

Sean

I had a 03 Z-71 tahoe. Plenty of motor with the 5.3 to tow my 25 foot travel trailer, but not long enough wheelbase to safely tow it on windy days even with my weight distributing hitch and anti-sway bar. Got rid of it after one year and bought my extended cab 1/2 ton GMC with a 6.0 liter. 10,000 lbs towing capacity. Out tows the 3/4 ton chevy and gmc with the 6.0 liter but nowhere near the duramax. The trailblazer ss is a cool truck but don't tow anything when the wind is blowing. Like I said, plenty of horses, just too short of a wheelbase. (my trailer only weighs 4200# by the way)

my father-in-law has a 07 Trailblazer SS and i think it would not have a problem towing a GN. it has the same engine that his 06 Vette has in it. i think there is plenty of power to do the job in my honest opinion. the only thing i would be a bit worried about is the short wheelbase. just my .02. dave

I guess it all depends on distance you want to tow and how frequently.

My 03 HD F-150 would tow pretty well and could hold it's own against the SS Trailblazer.

Trailblazer SS

Picture143.jpg
[/IMG]I ordered mine in april 06. I bought it for a sporty family ride:biggrin: Its been 13.88 in the Deep south humidity. mines a 2wd with all the other options. I test drove a new tahoe ... felt like i was backing up a bus. plus i like being different.

Trailblazer Ss

A friend of mine leased a brand new one for a period of two years and it's been a very dissappointing experience since day one. The engine is not built strong enough to endure any kind of power improvement, and after adding a "Magnacharger" kit, the connecting rods let go, destroying the whole engine including the oil pan which looked as if someone shot at it with a 22mm. caliber rifle. Not a single engine piece except the intake manifold and valve covers could be saved. It cost a bundle to repair at my friend's expense since the dealer refused to fix it under warranty due to the "power adder"...:rolleyes:
Now that it's running again ( without any supercharger), the only thing my friend wants is to get rid of it as soon as possible and never buy such a pile of junk again...( at least that's how he calls it!)...:D

Claude :biggrin:

"turbocody", you're right but what can I say....it's his truck, not mine! :D He just said that as soon as the lease expires, he'll be running to the dealer to dump it on his lot!...

Claude :smile:

"turbocody", you're right but what can I say....it's his truck, not mine! :D He just said that as soon as the lease expires, he'll be running to the dealer to dump it on his lot!...

Claude :smile:
He made a major modification to a LEASE car? Does this guy mess up going to get beer :rolleyes:

A friend of mine leased a brand new one for a period of two years and it's been a very dissappointing experience since day one. The engine is not built strong enough to endure any kind of power improvement, and after adding a "Magnacharger" kit, the connecting rods let go, destroying the whole engine including the oil pan which looked as if someone shot at it with a 22mm. caliber rifle. Not a single engine piece except the intake manifold and valve covers could be saved. It cost a bundle to repair at my friend's expense since the dealer refused to fix it under warranty due to the "power adder"...:rolleyes:
Now that it's running again ( without any supercharger), the only thing my friend wants is to get rid of it as soon as possible and never buy such a pile of junk again...( at least that's how he calls it!)...:D

Claude :biggrin:
Do you think the 10.9:1 compression and a bad tune could have something to do with this ? How fast was his ? I seen a guy drive his from Detroit to my local track in Darlington and run high 11's low 12's and drive it back home :D
his mods consisted of a converter / tune / nitrous

my father-in-law has a 07 Trailblazer SS and i think it would not have a problem towing a GN. it has the same engine that his 06 Vette has in it. i think there is plenty of power to do the job in my honest opinion. the only thing i would be a bit worried about is the short wheelbase. just my .02. dave

Those of us that do a lot of towing can assure you that having enough horsepower is only a small part of a successful and safe tow.

"2QUICK@B6", I don't know if the compression ratio had something with the engine failure but he was told that the weak point were the connecting rods.

"sailbrd", it was a lease car with an option to buy it at the end of the lease...But now that this happened, he won't buy it after the lease especially after been turned down by his own dealer from which he bought several vehicles in the past...He also said that he'll never buy anything from them again...

As for me, I'm not involved in this, but let me just say that after seeing this, I am far from being impressed and I'm more than ever determined not to buy a GM truck...:rolleyes: I'm currently in the market for a new dually (as mine is almost sold), and be assured that it won't be neither a GM or a Dodge...guess what's it'll be?... :biggrin: It begins with the letter "F"..! :biggrin:

Claude :)

Guess I do not feel sorry for him at all. I don't car how many cars you get NO ONE is going to warranty a vehicle that you have made major modifications too. Adding a supercharger, turbocharger, nitrous etc will void anyones warranty. The LS series of motors are some of the best in the world. We only wish we could build a Buick motor up like an LS2.

I raced a couple of Silverado's with all wheel drive and superchargers on them last year. They drove them 100 miles to the track, emptied the bed of party gear, took off the rear tailgate and ran 12.75 to 12.90 all day. Then drove home. The guy next to me in the pits was running a Camaro. Trailered car with a lot of race stuff, but still had full interior. Was running major nitrous. Turned 8's at 162 mph.

I just don't think it is fair to hammer a vehicle because it is being used to do things it was not designed for.

My wife's TBSS went 13.90 @ 100mph all stock. It shouldn't have any trouble towing a TR. Very nice SUV that hauls a$$!