Do you own a Regal GS too?

bishir

Serenity Now
My wife's car was also destroyed by the hurricane and I would like to use the insurance money to buy here a Regal GS or similar car. Similar, as in the supercharged 3.8. GTPs and SSEi s I will consider as well. I just haven't had a chance to find anything decent for sale. I'd travel, but not cross country. If you have owned or own one of these cars let me know what you think.

Thanks,

James

I have a '00 Regal GS that I purchased last year.

It was a GM Certified off-lease car with only 17K on the odo. The car is a strong runner and gets great gas mileage too. It has run 14.7 @ 93 and pulls down 30 mpg on extended trips (25/26 during commute). I didn't buy it to be a dragstrip warrior, but its good to have some boost under the hood for those special occasions.

The luxury will spoil you with the leather seats and every power option under the sun. Mine has the Monsoon CD system and the sound is spectacular. The ride is quiet and smooth but not "boaty".

Look for a 2000 and up GS as there are some features on later models that were not available on earlier ones. I would say a ballpark price range would be in the $7500-11,000 for a decent car with average miles.

Here's a great place to start if you have more questions:
http://www.regalgs.org/index.shtml

Good luck!

Hey Chuck,

Thanks for the website. I just looked there because I had a strange problem with my mothers 2000 Pontiac GT. Sometimes, but not always, the power windows will randomly fail. Both of the passenger side windows have done this. I never bothered to really diagnose it because it seldomly happens.

Her car is a N/A Grand Prix, but still a nice car. I like the handling, ride and features. Motor gets the job done, but won't roast 'em like a supercharged will. My mother had the car since new. The only problem she had with it is a strange MAF failure that was under warranty and the dealer worked very hard to find/fix the problem. Also, there was a recall on the intake for a water leak, which was also covered. If you're really standing on the throttle, it has a really nasty jump into second gear. But normal throttle situations is smooth sailing, so I'm thinking perhaps it's a motor mount or something.

Her car has 55k on it, and despite the above, it's been a really great car. As a matter of fact, the brakes are being serviced for the first time, this week.

Several years ago at Cecil I saw a new Regal GS at the track and it did pretty well for right out of the box.

Good luck Bishir. If anybody needs it, it's you.

Mine is my everyday driver and love it:) It was my wifes everyday car for 5yrs until we got the Suburban(hers) and she loved it.
Mine is all Black with tinted windows and the stock chrome wheels, looks pretty good IMO.
Mine ran a best 14.5 stock, with a pulley,K&N, exaust and Razors alchy kit you should be abe to run mid 13's with these cars no problem:) I haven't done anything to mine except intake, because my turbo cars hoard all my money;)

My wifes everyday car is a 1996 Bonneville SSEi. This is the first year of the L67 motor. The Bonnevilles are a little slower because of the weight but it has the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in. The car ran a 14.9 @ 94 with a bad 2.3 60ft with a open cone filter, 3.4" pulley, and a Flowmaster muffler. I couldn't launch the car without spinning badly. I have since put a DHP computer in it which makes it feel a lot stronger. I haven't made it back to the track but I am guessing it is in the 14.5 - 14.7 range if I could get it out of the hole. It has been very dependable and it has 97,XXX miles on it now with no problems. If you want something quick they are fun but the Regal's and GTP's are definitely quicker. With the same mods as my Bonneville and with race gas and headlight out a fellow club member ran 13.9's with his GTP Coupe. I just needed something with 4 doors but I wanted something I could play with some of the ricers around here. I did beat a Cadillac STS from a 10 punch with the car. Of course the cadillac is more of a top end car but the driver told me it was the 300hp car.

Ken Moser