Do you like charcoal grills or gas grills?

JOHNDEEREGN

Staff member
Can ya tell I am hungry and better go fix supper;)

I like the quickness of gas grills but LOVE the taste of charcoal grill flavor:)

Anybody tried a Traeger Pellet Grill, they are awesome! Do a website search and check them out;)

You said it all in your post. If you want easy and conveniant its gas, if you want the real taste its charcoal. There are some tricks though. We have a little electric smoker (can be obtained from Wally world pretty cheap) and it has a little bowl that you fill up with water. Put seasoned chicken brests on that and forget about it for two hours, the water keeps it from getting even remotely dry. Then put it on the charcoal grill for 1 more hour, putting your favorite sauce on only at the end. Try it, then come back and tell me about it:D

Charcoal baby. The only way to fly. Match Light and you are done, cooks for hours and smells good too. I do not like gas anymore, kinda feel more closer to mother nature. :D :D

This may sound wacko. But I use charcoal briquttes in my gas grill along with the gas.. They heat up evenly & cook quick & taste great.. When done I rinse the dust out..

I did the above to get rid of my charcoal that I used in my cellar & GN during storage periods. I forgot what Charcoal does for an interior while in storage?? think it was for smell or humidity buster?

charcoal

I had a gas grill once, I ended up giving it away because I thought it really sucked. I'll gladly deal with the little extra effort of getting a charcoal grill fired up.

Buy the combo gas and charcoal. I love mine. You use the gas to start the coal and it burns even and perfect. Or if you are in a rush use the gas.

I use gas with a pan of wet chips, apple or mesquite or hickory, to give some good extra flavor.
Tarey D.

I use charcoal grills and smokers as a general rule, but we are buying a dual fuel grill to replace the charcoal grill that died. I don't use lighter fluid, I have two charcoal starting chimneys. I also use smoking chunks as a replacement for part of my charcoal. Gas does have its place, when cooking large quantities of food. My wife has trouble cooking with charcoal, but then she had trouble with a gas stove until she was properly trained. She now hates electric stoves. I like my two level charcoal smoker, which also doubles as a small grill. It takes longer to cook with than a gas smoker, but the flavor is better. Like the gas grill, the gas smoker has its place, and is adaptable for deep frying whole turkeys and large quantities of fish. We'll also be getting a new gas smoker soon. We cook out more often than we cook in, and we also camp a lot, since I hunt when I can, and I'm also a Cub Master. We're camping this weekend as a matter of fact.

[Hank Hill]
We use good ole Lady Propane[/Hank Hill]

For us, the grill isn't just a grill, its a regularly used appliance that gets as much use as the oven. Charcoal never really added flavor, IMO. Flavor comes in how you prepare the food. As for feeling closer to Nature, I feel closer just by eating meat. Nature tastes good! Not lighting charcoal. LOL! ;)

I have all 3,

A smoker, gas, and a weber kettle charcoal.

By far the best imo is the charcoal kettle, i use it all the time for small stuff, and then the smoker for big meats and ribs :)

I only use hardwood charcoal also, all natural, not briquets. We just had a Gander mtn open up here, im in heaven whenever i go into that place.

Ok, I am a fan of hybrids myself. Nothing better than the gas starter with charcoal (mesquite) as the burning material. Best of both worlds for sure.

Originally posted by Kevin Turch
I have all 3,

A smoker, gas, and a weber kettle charcoal.

By far the best imo is the charcoal kettle, i use it all the time for small stuff, and then the smoker for big meats and ribs :)

I only use hardwood charcoal also, all natural, not briquets. We just had a Gander mtn open up here, im in heaven whenever i go into that place.

That's the ticket.

I just lost my 17 year old Webber Kettle. After lots of struggling, I went with a gas grill. I really miss my Webber!!!!!!!!

The thing I miss about it is the vent/air control. I could get the grill hotter that gas, close off the top vents and cook ribeye's and fish steaks at HIGH temp. When I try this with a gas grill, the whole thing just wants to go up in flames.

I'm still learning - only 5 days and 2 meals on the gas.

Well, I just bought a new stainless gas grill even though I like the taste better with charcoal. I have to get me a smoker now.