Do I need to prime the Oil Pump?

tim87tr

Obsession or Digression?
Just replace the rear main seal on the T and got the oil pan back on and added 4 quarts of oil (for now) and a new filter. I had taken the oil pickup off also. I unhooked the fuel pump and orange wire and cranked the engine to prime the pump. I have an electric oil pressure guage that only shows about 5 lb. Is it necessary to go ahead and prime the pump at the cam sensor location? I know you have to when you remove the front cover. I have not driven the car since BG due to the rear main leak.

Also wanting to find out if anyone has had a lot of oil blow out of the DS valve cover breather? I remember my car doing this once before. I seem to be a quart low and their was a big puddle of oil in my garage below the back portion of the A-arm connection on the GN. I searched for the leak, checked the DS valve cover tightness and believe it is from the valve filter. I am running 17 lb boost right now but did run 22 at the track last week. I have read the thread about "death to the pcv" and am not sure what to think. I have the pcv check valve and the correct AC Delco pcv (it seems to work). I removed the check valve and need to get a longer hose to try just using the pcv valve only. Any help appreciated.

Oil on the d.s. a-arm, that was my valve cover not the breather. Look on the bottom of the header tube & edge of valve cover from underneath. That's where it leaked on mine. (nice puddle guss). You shouldn't need to prime it, you didn't take the pump cover off right? Can if you want though. (safe than sorry)

Originally posted by Russ Merritt
Oil on the d.s. a-arm, that was my valve cover not the breather. Look on the bottom of the header tube & edge of valve cover from underneath. That's where it leaked on mine. (nice puddle guss). You shouldn't need to prime it, you didn't take the pump cover off right? Can if you want though. (safe than sorry)

Thanks Russ. I rechecked that area and DS header and valve cover was dry underneath. I was wrong on the oil level, it is less than one-half quart low. I think I found it, the rubber hose from under the brake fluid reservoir that connects to the ? metal underneath is leaking at the bottom connection. I will have to replace that hose.

Also I might as well learn to prime the pump and set the cam sensor. I'm paranoid anyway since I had a couple TR buddies that toasted some bearings that way, no oil pressure.

Powermaster grommet follow-up Question

Determined the fluid leak is at the small grommet on the powermaster body. Removed the reservoir, and grommet looks ok, reservoir must not have seated there good. The trusty service manual just says Assemble, make sure grommets are properly seated :rolleyes: . Yea, so I don't have a leak there!

So anyone had this trouble and what method did you use to seal the grommet area? My idea is to clean the grommet to remove the brake fluid, then use a small film of RTV on both sides of the grommet where it seals against the reservoir and powermaster body. Sound ok? Hopefully this is not an indication of a powermaster problem.

I don't think RTV is compatible with brake fluid, then again not much is.

I would try new grommets first.

You don't want any chunks of RTV (big or small) in your brake reservoir. :(

Yea salvage, I thought about that also, thanks for the advice. Even though I was going to be careful with the RTV, it could possibly get down into the small lines. I think the grommets are ok, but maybe the reservoir is warped and not seating well on the grommets. Maybe I will just ziptie the $hit out of the reservoir onto the powermaster unit so it seats without leaking :D. Anyone have other ideas? I have some of that 3M rubber/plastic adhesive that could work. I'll stop by GMC and see about the grommets anyway :) .

BTW salvage, what do you think about priming the oil pump? I just had the pan and oil pickup off, not the front cover. I am just wondering about resetting the cam sensor. I researched that and it looks to be a little tricky. I have a TR buddy that may have that lighted setting tool though.

I would crank the motor with the ECM orange wire unplugged until the oil light went out or you get a slight reading on your gauge if you have one.

If the pump and lines are still full of oil it should be okay.

Overfilling the reservoir I think could cause a leak that would look like the sealing surface there. Could be an issue.

I looked in Kirbans book on the Powermonster and didn't find much about grommets excepting to use new ones during the rebuild.

Might still be available from GM. :)

I unhooked the fuel pump and orange wire and cranked the engine a bit. The electric oil guage I have did register slightly, but I will look for the oil light if you say that is an indication.

I think the reservoir was over filled some at some point and looked like some may have come out of the top cover like you said. I may just reinstall with less fluid, but over the minimum and recheck. Thanks.

Depending on how the gauge was installed you may not have the light working anymore. Better check that out first.

Hey salvage, the car started and had oil pressure just fine. I did crank it with the orange wire unhooked. Had a blast at the eighth mile last night with the Turbo T, see sig. Thanks for the advice. Also the brake reservoir on the GN must have been too full, it is not leaking now. Tim