Do I need a 93 octane chip to run 93 in an emergency?

You know, I think it also depends on where your getting your gas from. On te Power Tour this year, we had some running issues with our gas chips in different states. Iowa gas was fine, Texas gas didnt like our cars, Oklahoma gas was ok but not the greatest. I think temp also plays an important role of course. It was freakin HOT in Texas. This was with a gas chip but I think it would play an important role in either set up.

Maybe I can test this weekend. I'll look at my wideband to determine if it is able to adjust completely without adjustments.

I ran the car down to empty today. Not fumes,nor did my fuel gauge ever flutter. I put 10 gallons of 93 in and started it up with no adjustments.. It started up fine because it still had alcohol in the lines. I waited for the black smoke and chugging but it never happened. An obvious rich smell was evident. I noticed the wideband went from the usual 16/1 A/F ratio to 13/1. I let it run at an idle for a little bit and watched the narrow band to see it become active. I quickly lost patience and upped the idle to help heat up the O2 sensor. Once the narrow band became active I switched the Scanmaster to the BLM setting. BLMs never moved,but it seemed to be running good. I then switched to the wideband and it was reading 16/1 A/F ratio. It had already adjusted. I thought 'why didn't the BLM move yet?(I have noticed before that it wouldn't necessarily move in park). I then looked at the integrater and it was at 100. So the short term adjust ability happens quite fast. I then put it in drive and cruised around. As soon as I came off of idle and hit the next cell it was very rich so I stayed in that cell and watched the BLMs come down at a steady pace. Each time I would enter the next cell I did this. It acted a little stupid at times,but it adjusted very quickly. Other than the rich smell and a few stumbles and chugs during the re-learn,it was almost seamless. My BLMs settled in the 92-96 range depending on engine load and what cell I was in. I didn't realize my BLMs could adjust that far. My E85 chip idles at 16/1 A/F ratio so the gasoline doesn't like that,but switching to open loop idle would help that. Over all I was quite pleasantly surprised. Next time I do this I will switch my Translator base fuel to 10% lean to help the re-learn.

LOOKS LIKE I HAVE A FLEX FUEL VEHICLE!! I should edit my signature.

I ran the car down to empty today. Not fumes,nor did my fuel gauge ever flutter. I put 10 gallons of 93 in and started it up with no adjustments.. It started up fine because it still had alcohol in the lines. I waited for the black smoke and chugging but it never happened. An obvious rich smell was evident. I noticed the wideband went from the usual 16/1 A/F ratio to 13/1. I let it run at an idle for a little bit and watched the narrow band to see it become active. I quickly lost patience and upped the idle to help heat up the O2 sensor. Once the narrow band became active I switched the Scanmaster to the BLM setting. BLMs never moved,but it seemed to be running good. I then switched to the wideband and it was reading 16/1 A/F ratio. It had already adjusted. I thought 'why didn't the BLM move yet?(I have noticed before that it wouldn't necessarily move in park). I then looked at the integrater and it was at 100. So the short term adjust ability happens quite fast. I then put it in drive and cruised around. As soon as I came off of idle and hit the next cell it was very rich so I stayed in that cell and watched the BLMs come down at a steady pace. Each time I would enter the next cell I did this. It acted a little stupid at times,but it adjusted very quickly. Other than the rich smell and a few stumbles and chugs during the re-learn It was almost seamless. My BLMs settled in the 92-96 range depending on engine load and what cell I was in. I didn't realize my BLMs could adjust that far. My E85 chip idles at 16/1 A/F ratio so the gasoline doesn't like that,but switching to open loop idle would help that. Over all I was quite pleasantly surprised. Next time I do this I will switch my Translator base fuel to 10% lean to help the re-learn.

LOOKS LIKE I HAVE A FLEX FUEL VEHICLE!! I should edit my signature.

Awesome news and thank you for the report back!!!

Cool, thanks for the test. That is a situtation I could run into...Now I know