DIY - Protruding dent repair help

peterkin

..it isn't rocket science
I have a dent in my trunk on the drivers side. It looks like two little protruding points in the quarter panel in the rear drivers side. I was wondering how you would repair something like that? Hammer it back in?
They got there because of me being retarded. A member gave me a bare block a long time ago. On the way home, I forgot it was back there, got into it with a mustang on the way home and bang a ding from the inside of the trunk. I'm getting ready to really put some TLC into this car, and I can't think of how to repair this ding. Any advice/help is greatly appreciated.

Let a paintless dent repair person fix it. If you goof it will be an eyesore forever.

Let me say this now:

If you try it yourself, and you don't know what you are doing, the cost of fixing what you do will be double or triple of what a pro will charge you to do it right in the first place.

If there isn't a "star" paint crack in the high spot you made in the 1/4 panel, then a reputable Paintless Dent Removal guy will most likely be able to make it go away or at least make it hard to see.

If the paint IS cracked, you're probably looking at painting the 1/4 and blending the deck lid.

Where are you located? I know PDR guys all over the country.

I'm in Fredericksburg, Va...the car is about to be repainted anyway, I just wanted to do the stripping myself. I was just wondering about the high spot in the panel because of the dent. I appreciate the replies too. It's always good to get the perspective of people more knowledgeable than myself.

Ok, but do yourself a favor and use a reputable shop. You'll save money, time and headaches in the end.

Find a place that is trusted locally, find a guy there you feel at ease with and get to work.

If you're doing a repaint just point out all the dents, dings and high spots to the guy you are working with. He will walk you through the process.

The body guys in the shop can make all of it right before the painter sprays it, but they only do what they are told. The body guys won't go looking for extra work on their own, especially if they are flat rate or flag rate body guys.

Don't be afraid to be nit-picky and anal, and a bit of a PIA with the shop in the beginning. They like people who show pride in ownership.

If they know you're super picky from the start, they'll be expecting it when they deliver the car, so they will be watching the process. Don't be a DICK, but be firm.

Ask to see the work in progress, too. A reputable shop shouldn't mind.

That way you can see potential problems or they can point them out to you and you can both decide on the best course of action BEFORE the paint goes on.

Reputable body shops are proud of their work. They want you to be happy with what they do for you. They don't want to have to mess with nit pics and re-do's on the finished product. It only costs them time and money.

Then again, don't be afraid to point out little stuff that will drive you nuts if it isn't fixed. They will understand.

Again, if you pointed it out and asked for it to be fixed and they miss it, that's on them. If you don't, and you're unhappy, it's on you. They'll be happy to fix it, but it's gonna cost you....

Make sure everything you want done gets noted and added as a line on the repair order BEFORE you sign it and as the work progresses.

It saves tons of headaches for both of you at the end of the deal.

I have a dent in my trunk on the drivers side. It looks like two little protruding points in the quarter panel in the rear drivers side. They got there because of me being retarded. A member gave me a bare block a long time ago. On the way home, I forgot it was back there, got into it with a mustang on the way home and bang a ding from the inside of the trunk. .

I did the exact same thing with a transmission in the trunk! :eek:

I really appreciate the replies. I can't wait to get back to driving this car, I miss the looks at stoplights and kicking ass at the track.