Ditched the FMIC, E85, Pre and Post Alky, Setup Inside

GNVYUS 1

So today I finally converted the GN to E85 and had already ditched my CAS V2 this Spring. I included how to do this for those who'd also want to make $$, shave weight and gain spool up by selling off their FMIC. The rest of the setup is in my Sig concerning the fuel system.

FWIW, I shaved off 35lbs by ditching the FMIC and the Blitz Blow Off Valve.

The Preturbo Injection gained me 1psi due to a denser comp wheel charge ( like winter ), ditching the FMIC should gain me another 2psi of backpressure ( haven't slammed on it yet ).

1) Get a 2" to 3" 90 degree reducer hose ( depends on turbos outlet size and TB size )
90 Degree Elbow Reducer / Transition - High Temp Silicone Hose [90 Deg Elbow Trans] - $22.39 : HoseTechniques.com | Products

2) Get a 3" Hump Hose for the TB
Hump Coupler - High Temp Silicone Hose [Hump] - $10.13 : HoseTechniques.com | Products

3) A 90 degree, 3" polished aluminum pipe, 6" legs are plenty. Got mine from a local shop called Top Setup here in IL, $25.

Cut off about 1-2" off the turbo side of the 90 degree hose. This helps bring the tubing closer to the TB for a better angle.

Cut 2" off the bottom leg of the 90 degree aluminum pipe. This is because you can't stuff in all that extra 6" leg.

Don't use the hump hose rings, you need the hump hose to slightly flex to the turbo side which is why I recommended a hump hose over a regular straight hose.

Hit it full blast with the post turbo alky, now that you don't have an IC, and for those of you with bigger turbo's full blast both nozzles and look out. I have a preturbo kit to help out the compressor wheel but I know most won't go that route so I'm not going to bother.

Spool up is better and with all the extra Meth going in you'll push the injectors past the normal HP Duty Cycle on E85. :biggrin:

With Rockett Brand having a 112 octane E85 and the Meth Injection, you'd never need to worry about cylinder pressure.:cool:

Attachments

• GN FMICless Turbo Up Pipe 1.jpg
    GN FMICless Turbo Up Pipe 1.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 1,533
  • GN FMICless Turbo Up Pipe 2.jpg
    GN FMICless Turbo Up Pipe 2.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 1,535
  • GN FMICless Turbo Up Pipe 3.jpg
    GN FMICless Turbo Up Pipe 3.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 1,544
Very nice. I was talking about this a little while back. Got any before and after performance numbers? How about sotp impressions?

Ya Pablo, I remember we were the only two nutjobs considering doing this.:biggrin:
I'm glad I waited with the new Racetronix Supra Pump Harness to help out 5% more and the 80's being a plug and play now.

No performance #'s yet since I am having an intake coolant leaking issue this year but I will post back after I see how much psi I gain from the FMIC being gone. I turned the rod out 3 turns but I should've just left it alone and seen how much it went up from there.:mad: Oh well maybe someone with Powerlogger will do a way more accurate before and after for everyone.

I'm mostly interested in seeing what the before and after IAT temps would be with the FMIC ( no alky ) and now without the FMIC and pre/post alky. This is why I turned the post alky up all the way instead of 1pm and I'm considering turning up the volume on the kit too to get the IAT temps close or better than what the FMIC can do alone. Then the E85 will drop it even more and I can boost away. :wink:

BTW, for those of us who've been on here a long time, the late Bruce Plecan did a similar thing ( without E85 ) to test intercoolers and alky kits. He welded an up pipe, which wasn't the nicest looking thing, so I went the cleaner route and posted it here for everyone to use as a base for their FMICless plans.

Great post, others might not want to hear it but please tell me more about the pre turbo alky. What size nozzle are you using? Did you just t off the other nozzle? Please tell me more. I wouls think the pre turbo would help a lot. I would like to see this on my car is the reason I ask

Boost 231, sent you a PM.

Setup is pretty much in my sig, hopefully it will stop leaking coolant and I can get back to beating on it and redo the tune. I installed QA1's in the rear to cure the car from not hooking out the hole and stop it from going sideways for the whole top end of 1st ( air shocks suck at loading the rear ). Even really heating the Nittos netted me nothing with the transbrake at 3psi. :frown:

I saw a DSM who also ditched the FMIC but had a WAY smaller turbo crank out a high 10 at 30psi with E85 and Twin 15gph Meth nozzles ( no preturbo ). That's an insane amount of boost for this small turbo to hold for the whole run which shows how restrictive some intercoolers are and how much freer the turbo is up top. I'd bet I could hold 35psi now without the FMIC and Preturbo throughout a run if I had the cahones to do it. :eek:

E3's going in Tuesday and hopefully can start the E85 tune. :cool:

Great post, others might not want to hear it but please tell me more about the pre turbo alky. What size nozzle are you using? Did you just t off the other nozzle? Please tell me more. I wouls think the pre turbo would help a lot. I would like to see this on my car is the reason I ask

I'd like to hear more as well...

Also did you have or ever try a pre turbo alky set up prior to dumping the IC and what were your results?

I'd hate to turn this into a preturbo alky thread so I'm not trying to be rude, but I did a post in the Alky Section last year on that mod with details and pics.

I gained 1psi of boost with the preturbo alky at 50/50 through a 2gph nozzle straying full blast starting at 16psi from a hobbs off the vacuum block. It's clear the compressor wheel acts like winter when it's getting hit with the preturbo. This was the result even with the CAS V2 on the car AND Julio's kit.

I've got some bugs again with the new crap I put on the car so this might be another one of those years for me. 11 months down and 1 month running. :mad:

Pre-turbo works...

Share this information with the Non-intercooled "Hot-Air" guys!

If anyone could use this info and make it work... they can! :biggrin:

Ever thought of putting together a couple of those up pipes to sell, I would buy one if you make it, and it would be easy for you since you have already done the research, might be a good way to make a couple of bucks!!
Also please keep us informed on this and see where it takes us, if a few more guys had the piping you have we could be out there experimenting with you and share notes too.
Ron

mike, are you going to start logging some data as far as temps go? maybe have a sensor at the air cleaner one at the turbo outlet and maybe one in the intake? i would really like to see some data there. anyways just wondering

Ya the Hot Air guys and I have more in common than ever, which I why I changed my Sig to include that I'm part of your crowd now. :eek: :D
BTW, the big block turbo crowd runs MONSTROUS Preturbo nozzles, too large IMO because they're seeing puddling in their intercoolers, not good.

I made this thread (1) to show others you don't need anyone to make this kit for us, you can easily do it yourself. I'm by no means a fabricator, so I prayed that the above parts would work with little trimming and it did. I remembered the Bruce Plecan thread so I knew something could be accomplished.

The only cutting you might ( plenty of members have the proper cutting tools ) need a local machine shop to do is cut off 2" from the bottom leg of the 90 degree pipe. You can easily cut the 90 degree reducer hose yourself, just trim off 1" from the turbo side and see how it lines up, then if you need more do it again. Luckily that hose also has long legs so you're all good. I really don't see the need for a kit but I could supply the cut 90 degree aluminum pipe if needed since I know the shop owner and the machinist is really close to me. The hose is going to still be up to the owner since it's an eyeball measurement to your liking but it can be cut with whatever you have.

Currently no datalogging for me to compliment my Scanmaster and LM-1, this is one thing that I don't have the budget for this year. I'm sure someone else with a FAST etc will eventually go this route and supply all the needed data but I can only offer so much right now. :(
Luckily the FMIC sale paid for all of the E85 conversion.

Got the GN running Saturday with E3's, E85, 5 GM Coolant Tablets and it's looking really good so far, I think I cured this intake leak. Now I have to drop the tank and see what the hell I did to cause the Fuel Gauge to go dead on Full after the Racetronix harness install. :confused: :(
The funny thing is I helped out and put up photos of the install like I knew what the hell I was doing. :mad::tongue:

Not looking good, it's still leaking coolant and it's all after the damned Walbro F'd me last year. Not sure if it's a warped head or intake etc. :mad:
Dropping the pan to see where it's coming from and hopefully I'll have it back on the road by Fall ( crazy year ). :mad: :frown:

Feel free to take over from here and post back on any data or experiences.