Distributor

rgwalston

I have replaced my 225 v6 with a 231 in my 71 CJ5 Jeep. I have the 225 distributor but I'm don't know if it will work with the 231. the 231 is an even fire engine. I need to know if the 225 distributor will work or not and if not what year of buick I can get a non electronic, vacume advance distributor?
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Even fire came out in mid-77 and ECM's in 1981, so your window is a kinda small 1978-1980. I know the distibutor caps are different, but I'm not sure if the distributors interchange or not. I think they do.

A great book for this type of stuff is V-6 Performance by Pat Ganahl. It covers all V6' from the 60's thru the early 80's. Check Amazon.com or any big bookstore.

Housings and mainshafts are different between odd and even fires. Looks like the best bet is to replace the entire distributor from an even fire. Eric Fisher

It would help if I read the entire post. Even fires only used HEI. The driven gear is the same for all V-6's so you should be able to use your 225 distributor by using the even fire plug wire sequence on the cap. Eric