Direct Scan Cable

Joe Reif Sr.

Does amyone know what cable you need to connect Drect Scan to the newer type laptop computers that have USB ports ?

It has been said that some people have gotten their DS to work on XP but I never could.

I ended up building a 98 laptop. It has to run off of the LPT1 (printer port).

If I stand corrected, please let me know.

justabuickv6 said:
It has been said that some people have gotten their DS to work on XP but I never could.

I ended up building a 98 laptop. It has to run off of the LPT1 (printer port).

If I stand corrected, please let me know.

I've really wanted to try. I think you could make a DOS boot floppy disk with DS on it.... and boot DOS off of the floppy.... and it would work fine..... but I have never tried it.... all my laptop stuff is older (win 95).

The problem with XP is that it doesn't have ANY MS DOS capabilities.... it is all gone.... all previous versions of Windows have DOS... or enough of it to still be able to run DS...

HTH

Can't you run DS on XP in compatitbility mode ?

I'm sure I did that on my home PC so I could analyze my runs at home.

Mayeb it's only a feature in XP Pro ??? :confused:

Get "Partition Magic" and partition the hard drive. Install DS on that partitioned drive. Now create a boot up disc from Win 95/98, and start your lap top from that boot floppy. If your lap top boots up in XP, XP will grab control of the parallel port and DS wil not function. Been a while since I did mine, but it worked fine for the few years I ran DS. You can also access DS from WinXP "my computer" w/o rebooting when reviewing files. HTH, Brian

Blazer406 said:
Not as I understand it.... but what do I know.... I haven't tried it.....

Just tried it now that I am at home.

Works perfectly on my home PC running XP Pro, using compatibility mode for Win 95

The direct scan program itself will run but you will not be able to datalog.If you get an adapter cable to make usb think it's a printer port,the drivers only load in windows xp and not DOS so the cable won't work when you boot to DOS.You need an laptop that at least has it's own printer port I would guess.If you know of an USB to LPT adapter cable that comes with a DOS driver please post that info.

The original post is being taken out of context. The question is not whether DS can run under XP as to how to connect DS to the laptop. Apparently DS does work with XP, but this does no good if you cannot connect to the laptop to begin with. I am just trying to help find a way to get it connected. If you can only guess that you need a laptop with a printer port please post that info if you do know.

As of right now, you DO need a laptop with a printer port. DS will only recognize "valid" printer port ID's...USB to Parallel(Printer) adapters will most likely not work , especially with a winxp/2000 running in native mode as they will not capture the right address. The simplest answer is you need a printer port on your laptop..

HTH

Joe Reif Sr. said:
Does amyone know what cable you need to connect Drect Scan to the newer type laptop computers that have USB ports ?

Again, as of right now, there is now way to hook the DS hardware up to a USB port, nor use an adapter..maybe you could email/talk with Mr Chu and see if he's got anything in the works

WE4nKC said:
If you can only guess that you need a laptop with a printer port please post that info if you do know.

TurboBuickSix said:
You need an laptop that at least has it's own printer port I would guess.If you know of an USB to LPT adapter cable that comes with a DOS driver please post that info.

Again,It will not work on a laptop without a printer port.Unless you can come up with a cable that has a DOS driver with it on CD,unfortunately I don't think one exists.Ebay is full of laptops for under 50.00 that will do the job.

The Bottom Line

This is tha lates info. Thanks for all the input on the problem
Hi Joe,
Unfortunately, DS will not work with an USB-to-parallel port adaptor. It
requires a native parallel port. Some customers have reported good results
with using a PCMCIA parallel port adaptor, though. Just make sure that you
get the DOS drivers with it.

Thanks,

----------------------------
Kent Chu
Chu Engineering
kent.chu@chuengineering.com