Differential rebuild

DeltaBravo

Retired U.S. Army/Navy
So...

While waiting for my trans to get built, I decided to replace my axles because I know at lest one of them is slightly bent. After removing the axles, I though, lets check the backlash....

28 thousandth...holy crap!

I removed the carrier to find this;
IMG_1589.jpg
IMG_1597.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1590.jpg
    IMG_1590.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1591.jpg
    IMG_1591.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1592.jpg
    IMG_1592.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1593.jpg
    IMG_1593.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1594.jpg
    IMG_1594.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1596.jpg
    IMG_1596.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1598.jpg
    IMG_1598.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1599.jpg
    IMG_1599.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 113
Last edited:
I know I will need a rebuild kit with shims

But take a look at the clutches and tell me what you think....
Since I don't know when the clutches were replaced and I didn't have any issues with there overall function

How do my clutches look?
IMG_1594.jpg

And if I need new ones,
IMG_1596.jpg
IMG_1592.jpg
who should I get them from?

Thanks

The bearings pitted like that are from insufficient bearing preload. On a carrier......if you can pull it out by hand it isnt tight enough. It should be able to withstand tugging with your body weight without moving. I usually set it so that I can achieve the correct backlash, but tight enough that it has to be smacked in with my large dead blow. Those clutches look great. If none of them are smeared or scored I would put them back in and maybe check the clearance on the pack. If they don't look worn then I wouldn't suspect it to have loosened up too much.

so if clutches pack did need replaced, does anyone know where to find them? Under heavy acceleration, the rear of my GN feels like its going back and forth, as if it was spinning, but I don't think it is. Could a slip in the clutches cause a back and forth transfer of power?

The bearings pitted like that are from insufficient bearing preload. On a carrier......if you can pull it out by hand it isnt tight enough. It should be able to withstand tugging with your body weight without moving. I usually set it so that I can achieve the correct backlash, but tight enough that it has to be smacked in with my large dead blow. Those clutches look great. If none of them are smeared or scored I would put them back in and maybe check the clearance on the pack. If they don't look worn then I wouldn't suspect it to have loosened up too much.

Yup...
After removing the caps, the carrier just fell out. Lucky I was expecting that and didn't let it fall.

Thanks for the clutch insight. I figured they were good. Just need new bearings and shims.

so if clutches pack did need replaced, does anyone know where to find them? Under heavy acceleration, the rear of my GN feels like its going back and forth, as if it was spinning, but I don't think it is. Could a slip in the clutches cause a back and forth transfer of power?

As far as where to get clutch packs- I was looking at Randys Ring and Pinion, G-body, Summitracing, Jegs....ect.

but I am not sure what you mean when you say "back and forth, as if it was spinning"?

Are you referring to when both wheels are off the ground?

As far as where to get clutch packs- I was looking at Randys Ring and Pinion, G-body, Summitracing, Jegs....ect.

but I am not sure what you mean when you say "back and forth, as if it was spinning"?

Are you referring to when both wheels are off the ground?
No, I mean as I am driving the car and getting on it pretty hard, it almost feels as if it is fishtailing, its kind of weird

No, I mean as I am driving the car and getting on it pretty hard, it almost feels as if it is fishtailing, its kind of weird

well, posi-tracktion + getting on it hard=fishtailing. Sounds like both tires are breaking loose which means the clutches are grabing.

well, posi-tracktion + getting on it hard=fishtailing. Sounds like both tires are breaking loose which means the clutches are grabing.
if I wasn't doing 70+ mph and accelerating, I would probably agree, its hard to explain, but the tires aren't spinning. I was thinking that the posi might be getting weak, or something broke inside making it not transfer the power evenly. From my research, the clutches are a discontinued item...hoping that isn't the case

if I wasn't doing 70+ mph and accelerating, I would probably agree, its hard to explain, but the tires aren't spinning. I was thinking that the posi might be getters g weak, or something broke inside making it not transfer the power evenly. From my research, the clutches are a discontinued item...hoping that isn't the case

that is interesting...maybe someone else might have some info on that.

as far as getting new cluches, I found many options. But here is one http://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=585&Product=YPKGM12-PC-14&Brand=Yukon_Gear_and_Axle&ShowAA=True&Year=1987&Model=Regal&DriveType=Rear Diff - RWD&DiffId=211&Source=DiffWizard

Last edited:
if I wasn't doing 70+ mph and accelerating, I would probably agree, its hard to explain, but the tires aren't spinning. I was thinking that the posi might be getting weak, or something broke inside making it not transfer the power evenly. From my research, the clutches are a discontinued item...hoping that isn't the case

How does a good burnout look and feel? Sometimes that can give you an indication if something is wrong. On my Pontiac G8, if the LSD clutches were getting weak, the car would do peg leg burnouts.

i have noticed that the passenger side tire mark was a good bit darker, but I was dismissing it as crappy uneven PA roads......perhaps not

It could be suspension related. A bushing going bad or in my case loose bolts on my LCA. You could feel the back of car move to the left when you stabbed the throttle and it wasn't wheel spin.