DFI 7.0 vs TEC vs FAST

Originally posted by Racetronix

Why would you make a statement like that?

The Gen 7 is in some 6 second turbo Mustangs right now among some other very fast cars. The Gen 7 is equally capable in a street driven daily driver as it is in a 2000+ HP race car.

Having more features, outputs and MAPs than some other brands does not make it any less capable ... actually more!

Jack :cool:
Racetronix

Jack, I never said the GEN 7 wasn't capable of it's intended use. My statement was made because I don't see a need for AC control, and some of the other unique features it has for a pure strip car that doesn't have all the street trim on it anymore. Therefore, it will probably appeal more to the street/strip car more. I like my FAST system and if I was to consider another system, especially for my street car, it would HAVE to have the features the GEN 7 has. Maybe in the future I'll own one.

Originally posted by Ted A.
Sounds like the Gen 7 is more taylored for a street/strip car than a pure race car.

Ahhh.... OK? :rolleyes:

Perhaps the Gen 7's two-step launch / rev limiting, ignition rev limiting, MAP based individual cylinder fuel correction, 3-stage NOS, base and target injector timing as standard features cater to the street/strip car crowd?

Personally I don't think trying to categorize the Accel or FAST system for use in a specific market segment is justifiable but then that is my opinion....

FYI I have run a FAST SEFI in my car for over three years and I am very happy with its overall performance.

Racetronix

For those keeping score...Electromotive has a Wide Band O2 sensor monitoring package "in the works." Probably TEC-IV.

Originally posted by Scott231
For those keeping score...Electromotive has a Wide Band O2 sensor monitoring package "in the works." Probably TEC-IV.

That system was on display and for sale last year at PRI.
The ECU is now separate from the coil packs making installation much easier / flexible. The nice part about the Electromotive is the high-rez signal from the crank sensor which provides more stable timing.

They have a nice windows based interface now too.

Racetronix

That system was on display and for sale last year at PRI.
The ECU is now separate from the coil packs making installation much easier / flexible.

Yea, welcome to 1991. That's how the TEC I was.

The item on display was the TEC3. It is (again, as Jay noted) separated into two pieces. I was one of the people reporting problems with the All-in-one model TEC-2:( The TEC-3 does not have wideband O2 control. Although it does have a Desired Air/Fuel Ratio table, if you talk to them (or own one or read the manual) you will find that it is still uses a "dumb" O2 sensor that can only accurately monitor AFRs at stochiometric. That feature is in the TEC-2 with PAF software and all TEC-3 models.

I don't know what you were told Jack, but the only way a TEC1, 2, or 3 can operate without a cam sensor is in Batch or Phased-Sequential mode (injectors fire in pairs like the coils on a waste spark method). Check out http://www.electromotive-inc.com/pdf_files/tec3.pdf page 7, second paragraph, last sentence. :D

Perhaps I was fed info on hopeful / upcoming product???
I will see if I can find the literature I picked up at PRI to see if it jives. I am sure I discussed the WB and sequential aspects of the unit as I was trying to draw a product comparison at the time. They did say the WB option was coming out any time… that was last fall.

As far as PnP compatibility with a Buick factory harness or GM sensors I could not comment. Perhaps you can provide some insight into this subject Scott?

Racetronix

As far as PnP compatibility with a Buick factory harness or GM sensors I could not comment. Perhaps you can provide some insight into this subject Scott?
Uh hem...No way in Hell. :eek:

The connectors to the TEC computers are all unique. You do use all GM sensors, but they must be mated to the "proprietary" TEC connectors...using either the old harness that has cut cut up or you custom wire your own. The TEC uses a different crank trigger that the GM setup and its own ignition system. As such, you no longer have a use for the reluctor on the factory harmonic balancer (which has to be machined), the factory coil pack and/or the factory ignition module.

Ahhh.... OK? :rolleyes:

Perhaps the Gen 7's two-step launch / rev limiting, ignition rev limiting, MAP based individual cylinder fuel correction, 3-stage NOS, base and target injector timing as standard features cater to the street/strip car crowd?

Personally I don't think trying to categorize the Accel or FAST system for use in a specific market segment is justifiable but then that is my opinion....

FYI I have run a FAST SEFI in my car for over three years and I am very happy with its overall performance.

Racetronix

I guess our definitions of Street/Strip differ, that's all. You have made valid points about the system and as I said above I never doubted it's abilities. The GEN 7 would be a more suitable stock ECM replacement for a street/strip GN than the FAST. I mean Street/strip in the fact that the AC is intact and the use of the TCC. I hope this clears things up.:)

I am new to this board, and was pointed here by another board I follow trying to learn some info on turbo systems and DFI. Kinda sounds like the FAST is a glorified high buck Gen VI system from what I take from all these posts....Seems like the Gen VII gives you a lot more options and flexibilty.

Please.. The Gen 6 and FAST system are about as alike as apples and oranges. Maybe you should use a FAST system before you come in here spouting off baseless opinions. For example, just in case you feel like flaming, the FAST system is a true VE system and the Gen 6 isnt. That alone makes enough difference to end your theory. Nevermind that the FAST system has correcting wideband O2, data logging that makes the Gen 6 look pitiful (It is in that respect anyway) and much better software.

While the Gen VII does have more features than the FAST system, it is also about 4 years newer so what do you expect? Supposedly there is a new FAST system under development that will be out next year and I'm sure it will have features that the Gen VIIs dont have. That's just how things work.

I'm not a FAST fanboy by any means. I just use whatever works and I've worked with about everything out there that the domestic market uses.

Both systems have their strong and weak points.
You must really delve into each unit to appreciate what they have to offer and which one would better suite your application. To say that either unit is superior to the other would be being biased.

Racetronix