Delayed conversion to the Dark Side

geargrinder427

Heavy with a alky habit
My story is about being killed by a TTtype about 10 years ago:eek: . I was in the process of moving from my first house to my second house and I was coming back from a friends house with some of my stuff I had loaned to him in the trunk of my '66 Biscayne. I had just had the 427 rebuilt to 390 horse trim :tongue: coupled to the 411 posi and muncie wide ratio four speed. I was stopped at a light almost back to my house when a gold regal Ttype pulled up along side me. The two dudes in the TType look at the biscuit and rev their motor motioning if I want to run them so I looked over and thought its just a 305 blah buick :eek: and should not be a problem even with the added weight in my trunk. At that time I did not really know much about the turbo buicks. So the light turns green and we go and I launch the biscuit at 3300 rpm and put the strain on the tires and it pulls hard without spinning the tires and I get half a car on the TType. Back in those days, it was pretty much 5.0 mustangs, rice burners were nowhere to be found except rusting in junk yards, so when I left and pulled half a car and pulled second gear I figured it was over since my big block pulls and no small blocks that are behind me rarely catch up. But a funny thing happened when I neared the end of second gear, I heard a loud whining noise over the roar of my low restriction dual exhaust and the "WTF is that" comes out of my mouth and the
Ttype is right along side of me:eek: . As I pull third gear the TType is now half a car ahead and pulling away:mad: ...by the end of third gear he had what seemed like 3 cars on me and 4th gear in the biscuit is one to one and generally no fun drag racing with so it was over....toasted/burned by a turbo buick:mad: .....We slowed down, I gave them a thumbs up and turned off to go to my house. Well I never forgot that race and always told myself that I would someday have a TType/GN. Well after two more moves, a child, and a job transfer I finally bought a GN with the added X in the hopes of teaching others the power of the dark side....:biggrin:

Hope to post my first kill in my GNX clone soon.....keep it safe folks.....

Nice!!!!

How much HP is your Biscayne pushing now? How about your GN?

Glad to know at least you wised up to the amazing-ness of Turbo Buicks!

Ya gotta love those sleeper "Gold" T-Types. Nice story, thanks for sharing.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Shev Burnout Moroso.JPG
    Shev Burnout Moroso.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 424
Ya gotta love those sleeper "Gold" T-Types. Nice story, thanks for sharing.

I second that, thanks for sharing.

I have to admit I am getting tired of the "sleeper" image though. I have owned 3 T's and never a GN so I have gotton used to no one noticing. I have a white Limited T and I can't beg a race because no one knows what it is much less gives it a second look.

The only advantage is it flies under the cop radar all the time. But sometimes I wish it looked like Darth Vader.

Drive the 67 Caddy or 70 Wildcat or 72 Stage 1 and everybody notices and I guess I'm spoiled that way.

But drive the T and no one looks at me boo hoo, boo hoo.

Mikey

The biscuit is up to about 425 horse with a 800cfm cheater q-jet on it and a mallory under the cap electronic ignition...I had a horrible time with the dual points floating on me:mad: . It is desert beige in color with the painted rims, drag radials on the back and dog dish caps so it still looks like grandma's car. It's still fun to run it through the gears but I don't like to push it too much anymore as steel crank 427's are getting hard to find:eek: ....most passenger car 427's seemed to have ended up in corvettes:mad: ....$$$

The GN's HP is hard to say at the moment...It was discovered, after all the electronics and ground wires were tested/fixed that the cam shaft is partially flat on #4 cylinder as it starts to stumble after 4200 rpm:mad: . I am in the process of putting together another motor and getting a stout tranny built for it. I have purchased a built short block that is bored .030" over, has JE pistons, a steel crank, and is girdled (RJC) and internally balanced:p . Working on getting ported heads, polished intake and a full roller setup. Goal is to have upgraded motor in by next spring as I will finish the year out driving as is but won't "play" on the street/strip with it until then. I have a 67mm turbo on it now with 60lb injectors with the 3.5" MAF translator and the large precision intercooler upfront. I think this car with the Alky controls set up on when done should make a solid 600HP and I would like to be in the low 11's, high 10's....time and my wallet will tell......:rolleyes:

I hear you FASTER, but believe me, when you own a GN for a while, you want the T-type's so bad. I have fun driving both and I do get more looks in the GN, but in South Florida you would be surprised at just how many people recognize and admire the T-Type's. It all fun.

nice story and nice looking pic, nebraska sure looks somewhat like florida with those palm trees :biggrin: