Defect in GN wheels at dealer

2badgn

I have read before that if u boght a Gn wheel at the dealer, they had a defect in them.

Is this true?
Does anyone know what the defect was?

thanks
Frank

I never heard that myth before.

Wheels have been discontinued for almost 20 years. Do you have some stashed away or something?

I have read before that if u boght a Gn wheel at the dealer, they had a defect in them.

Is this true?
Does anyone know what the defect was?

thanks
Frank

In some cases that is true. Some of the wheels had blemishes on them. Some had marks in the chrome in one spot that looked like they were clamped in something and I have seen others that had defects in the black paint. They weren't that noticable unless you were looking for them. I have seen this type of thing with other parts I have ordered from GM through a dealer like tail light lenses. I had to go through 3 pairs of tail light lenses for my Olds before I got a set with no scratches, cracks, or glue stuck to the surface of the lens.

Only thing about the wheels that I ever noticed (86-87 GNs only) was how they screwed up the turbo 6 logo on the center caps. The arrow passes under the rest of the 6 instead of over it like every other turbo 6 logo on the car. Look closely at the logos:

GNCenterCap2.jpg

Badge2.jpg

Yeah you aint never going to get a mint replacement part from GM. Sometimes I think they do put blems or second best parts in the boxes for us dealers to sell as replacements. Every once in awhile I have to go through the drill with somebody over this issue. Since our cars are 20 years and older you can just about bet that all of the tooling that is still out there was worn out a long time ago. Beggars cant be choosey I guess.

Yeah you aint never going to get a mint replacement part from GM. Sometimes I think they do put blems or second best parts in the boxes for us dealers to sell as replacements. Every once in awhile I have to go through the drill with somebody over this issue. Since our cars are 20 years and older you can just about bet that all of the tooling that is still out there was worn out a long time ago. Beggars cant be choosey I guess.

I don't care how old or worn out the mold is I want it just like it was! ;)

It's a good thing you aint into Corvettes! LOL.;)

LOL! :biggrin: that's a good one, but true!...Those Corvette guys are the most picky guys I can think of!...well almost...The Hemi 'Cuda, Challenger, etc...guys are also crazy when it comes to paying attention to insignificant details...:rolleyes:...not really for me...

Claude :rolleyes:

LOL! :biggrin: that's a good one, but true!...Those Corvette guys are the most picky guys I can think of!...well almost...The Hemi 'Cuda, Challenger, etc...guys are also crazy when it comes to paying attention to insignificant details...:rolleyes:...not really for me...

Claude :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Reminds me of a guy here in my hometown that paid like 500 bucks to get a battery for his lime green Dodge Dart that looks like the original battery that came with the car. Not for me--I go to WalMart, slap an Everstart battery in the car, and drive the thing!