Dblr rolller vs gears

Dave Simpkins

I looking for opinions on cam drive systems... Dble roller chains versus gear driven.... Pros and Cons-
Someone said that the gear drive units make a lot of noise that creates probs. for knock sensor ?? On SB Chevs the gear drive noise sounds fine. Will the gear drive set up control the "cam walk" in a more positive way than the needle bearing cam button? Does a cam need mods to hook up to a gear drive ? How much hack and mod needs to go down on a stock front cover .. to fit a gear drive ?
Anyways .. I'm all ears at this point ...

FWIW, I would stick with a good chain. If you're looking to do something exotic, Kenny D sells a belt drive setup for the V6 but it's pricey.

But back to your question about the gear drive, yes, they are noisy. However, if you're running a solid roller camshaft, forget the knock sensor anyway as the valvetrain will give you false knock. You do have cut a good it out of the front cover to get the gear drive to fit. However, the biggest problem with gear drives is that they won't stay on the engine, at least in my experience. Everytime I or anyone else I know has attempted to use one, they always manage to work themselves loose and fall off the front of the engine, resulting in bent valves.

I've had this happen to me twice and I know 2 other people that have had the same problem. Now supposedly PT&E offers a gear drive that doesn't have this problem. I can't say either way. Years ago Jim Ruggles told me to avoid gear drives because of the reason I stated above. Even green Loctite wont keep those bolts in.