Day to Day Street Tires

Alan Faircloth

I've seen lots of posts about race tires and the biggest tires that can be put on the GNs, but my question is this.

I would like 4 same size tires for rotational ease. I have experience with BF Goodrich Radial T/As in the 245/60/15 size. They fit very nicely and the fronts will only rub under hard cornering. That was on my 87 T. I now have an 86 T-Type and I SWEAR that it looks like it sits LOWER than my 87. Someone told me that this was due to different springs. Regardless why, I need tires and wondered if I could still use the 245/60/15s? Also, does anyone have any experience with brands other than BFG? I'm looking for a street tire only for general around town and highway driving. I'll get some drag radials or slicks for track work.

Thanks,

Alan

Eagle GTIIs

I just put on a set of 235/60-15 Goodyear Eagle GT IIs. The look great, but howl on the highway something fierce. The only other tire in the price range was the Yokohama Avid S/Ts, but I couldn't bring myself to put Japanese tires on my GN.;)

If you step up the bux, the Michelin pilots are highly regarded.

I put on 235-60-15 also. I got Dunlop GT Qualifiers. They have a 55,000 mile wearout warranty, whereas the Michelin pilots have no wearout warranty. It took a while to decide on a daily driver tire, because there's not many size options for the stock wheel. The GT qualifiers can be black letter out. I like them for a mostly stock car. A big improvement over the original GT 215's.

GT II howling...........really? I have them on my car now and I don't notice that but was considering getting the 235/60/15's but not if they are going to add to the noise this thing already makes. I got a price of $115 each. Mounted , balanced and so forth. I thought that was kind of high. Especially when TA's, same size are $75-$80 each. So I don't know. Drew:confused:

I just called a Nitto dealer close to me. They tell me they don't make a 15" tire in the nt555. I was looking for a price. That sound right? Drew

Drew,

That's evidently true...my 555s are on 16" rims.

The Nitto 505s are available in a 15", I'm fairly sure.

HTH :)

I have NT555R-1 Nitto Drag Radials on my stock 15" rims. I even went out to the garage to double check. I bought the tires about 6 months ago. What is up with that? Are they eliminating them for the new year?

Relax...:)

The 555 is a HP tire, not a DR, apparently only available in 16" & above.

The 555DR is too popular to be DC'd!

The salesman also told me that Nitto is owned by Toyo:( That may be no secret but there it is... Drew

The Michelin Pilots work well on the front of my car.

Also I think the Dunlop SP series would work fine as I ran the D40M2 tires for years in the 90's another great street tire.

Both are available in a decent stock height 235/60/15.

What I would use if I needed 4 of the same. :)

Originally posted by Two Lane
Relax...:)

The 555 is a HP tire, not a DR, apparently only available in 16" & above.

The 555DR is too popular to be DC'd!

Whewww! I mean, uh, nevermind. My mistake, I thought you meant the drag radials.

I'll probably always stick with BFG Radial T/A's. Might get a set of drag radials for the rear some day down the road. Then again, I could just get my Centerline Telstars for the street, and mount a set of slicks on a pair of the GN rims for the track.

Whats the fattest slick I could safely fit on a 15x7 GN rim? Without rubbing. And keeping extremely close to 26 inch tire. I dont want to throw the ratio off.

nitto s 450 s work great-great traction,quiet,good in water and snow and really hold the road.get prices from discounttiresdirect.com.

Dunlops

Originally posted by stock87
I put on 235-60-15 also. I got Dunlop GT Qualifiers. They have a 55,000 mile wearout warranty, whereas the Michelin pilots have no wearout warranty. It took a while to decide on a daily driver tire, because there's not many size options for the stock wheel. The GT qualifiers can be black letter out. I like them for a mostly stock car. A big improvement over the original GT 215's.

How do you like the grip/handling of the Dunlops? I've got all the bracing and KYBs on my 86 and feel like its only the tires that are holding me back from having an awesome handling car (although it handles pretty damn good in the corners now). Plus, with the TE44, 009s, 2.5 inch DP, exhaust, etc., the car needs some tires that won't start spinning at half throttle.

Alan

How about BFG Comp TA's? I have them on the front and I think they look great and are ZR rated. Anyone else have some on the rear? Since my DR's are bald I am going to need tires in the spring

I have BFG Comp T/A's in the front and back of the car. I like the way they handle for the street. I'll have to double check the sizes, but I have no rubbing front or back.

Dannyo

Danster please let me know if you can. Right now my BFG 275/50 DR's rub both sides, and on the outside pass tire. stock rims

I was thinking of getting either 255/60's of 275/60's. Thanks

Alan,

I am running the Dunlop GT Qualifier in the 245/60. It is a good steet tire with excellent hold in the rain. They seem to hold traction fairly well. I ran a 12.5 at the track with these tires on!

Can you tell me how to get in touch with Scott Jones? Evans gave me an e-mail address that is no longer valid.

Mike

I use the Firestone SZ50's all around my car. They drive great and hook to an extent. 245/50/16 fornt and 255/60/16 rear. Great tire...