David Wolfe lays down the law at SGMP, 4.49 @172mph on Radials!!!

Thanks for posting the video, I was looking around the internet trying to find that killer run. I guess the new motor is working out for him!

David Wolfe does not sleep he waits...

That looked like such an easy pass too.
He never fails to impress.

BTW, Wolfe won the 20K at the race this weekend and ran a best pass of 4.44 @175mph!!!:eek:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVGHggXx8HM[/YOUTUBE]

RTCTTFMF;):biggrin:

Words can't really describe how effortless the car looked on all those passes. Barely raised a tire the 1st 60 feet and just hauled ass right out of the gate.

60' on the 4.44 was somewhere in the 1.14 range. And the car is more stock suspension than any other mustang I've seen in outlaw radial.

Dusty,

I have been hearing rumors about Dave running traction control. There were several guys committing about how the car launched and would be on the edge of going crazy yet all of a sudden the car would just settle down. People were mentioning that this was happening at several different points throughout the run, thus people are thinking there is some form of traction control. Do you know or heard anything about this?

Jeff Jr.

Dusty,

I have been hearing rumors about Dave running traction control. There were several guys committing about how the car launched and would be on the edge of going crazy yet all of a sudden the car would just settle down. People were mentioning that this was happening at several different points throughout the run, thus people are thinking there is some form of traction control. Do you know or heard anything about this?

Jeff Jr.

He had more than 1 sensor on the driveshaft so him running traction control is very possible. He wouldn't be the only one running it, lots of people run it since it isn't illegal. BS3, XFI and the Davis boxes are all be used by various teams. SGMP is one of the best tracks in the country so traction control wasn't needed to go that fast, especially with a 175+mph trap speed. From what I've seen of the traction controls. They don't make you faster, they just save a pass if you put to much of a tune-up in the car for the track to hold. Even then, the settings have to be tuned to the track conditions to save the pass. You have to pull out enough timing to save the run and put it back in without spinning the tires. I hear the Davis box is self learning but I've never seen the software. I tried it for a while but went back to using the 7531 and AMS-1000 to control power with timing ramps and boost curves.

Watching Wolfes car was like watching perfection. To run that fast and never raise a tire more than 2 inches without bars is unheard of. You put that much power in a car, keep the tires planted and never do a wheelie......amazing.

Historically, Wolfe ran a Gen 7 box because of Job Spetter jr. Has that all changed and what the Davis box?

Historically, Wolfe ran a Gen 7 box because of Job Spetter jr. Has that all changed and what the Davis box?

He's now using a BS3 and Grant McCrary aka GMAC is doing the tuning for him.

I believe Wolfe posted on the Bullet that he was not using traction control, but I find that hard to believe watching those passes!

The Davis box is a self learning traction control box. Davis also has a wheelie control box. Both manipulate timing. The well funded teams are about the only ones who can afford them. You can search for them by just googling davis traction control.

He's now using a BS3 and Grant McCrary aka GMAC is doing the tuning for him.

I believe Wolfe posted on the Bullet that he was not using traction control, but I find that hard to believe watching those passes!

I can believe he wasn't using it. The track was phenominal. Perfect temps Saturday and Sunday. I went 1.23 60' in the Mustang I was driving on a 275/60. It's all the car had in it without just trying to make it spin. No launch retard, no boost ramp. Leave at 14# and straight to 18# by 1 second. Had I not been trying to race the car, I would have cranked the launch rpm up to see just how much it would take.

Lots of racers want to blame the e.t' s we are now seeing on traction control because they don't understand it. The truth is traction control can't make a car faster, but it can make it more consistent.

It defiantly will not make a car faster yet it does assist with eliminating any tuning issues with the suspension or boost controller. This is especially true on a system that is self-learning or auto adjusts like some of the ones I've been hearing about, which is completely different than the MSD 7531 box. I was just curious if you heard anything, seeing that there are always rumors with cars that run such a killer fast time.

Either way my hat is off to Dave and his team, you have to think way outside the box to develop such a high power combination such as this. Than you have to have the brains to make it work!!

Jeff Jr.

I can believe he wasn't using it. The track was phenominal. Perfect temps Saturday and Sunday. I went 1.23 60' in the Mustang I was driving on a 275/60. It's all the car had in it without just trying to make it spin. No launch retard, no boost ramp. Leave at 14# and straight to 18# by 1 second. Had I not been trying to race the car, I would have cranked the launch rpm up to see just how much it would take.

Lots of racers want to blame the e.t' s we are now seeing on traction control because they don't understand it. The truth is traction control can't make a car faster, but it can make it more consistent.

Speaking of the car you were driving, were you also driving a Buick cause I remember seeing some pics of a GN from that weekend? Wolfe's car seemed to be very consistent all weekend (5 back to back passes in the 4.40's), but considering he is an awesome chassis builder/tuner and SGMP is an awesome facility (Thanks mainly to Wade) I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

It defiantly will not make a car faster yet it does assist with eliminating any tuning issues with the suspension or boost controller. This is especially true on a system that is self-learning or auto adjusts like some of the ones I've been hearing about, which is completely different than the MSD 7531 box. I was just curious if you heard anything, seeing that there are always rumors with cars that run such a killer fast time.

Either way my hat is off to Dave and his team, you have to think way outside the box to develop such a high power combination such as this. Than you have to have the brains to make it work!!

Jeff Jr.

It does indeed help make a car consistent. I know people who have went to traction control thinking it would make the car faster when they were having chassis issues. It only slowed the car down. For a car to be as fast as David's the chassis and everything has to work perfectly. To be able to apply that much power without tire spin or standing on the bumper at 300 feet is just experience.