Dash lights not working

Tom87GN

YOU'RE MY BOY BLUE!!!!
O.K. I've searched this site using keywords "dash" and "lights" and haven't found anything conclusive to my needs.

My dash lights don't work anymore. When I don't have the headlights or parking lights on, the factory tach and boost gauges are lit up. Then, when I flip either the parking lights or the headlights on, they go completely off and I also no longer have any dash lights or any of my gauges!!

I have checked the fuses and they all look fine. I have my gauges hooked up so they only come on with the lights (either parking or headlights) as most people do.

I am by far an electrical expert, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

It happens and then you think something is wrong. Check the roll dimmer switch, sounds like it's all the way off.

I hope it's that easy for you anyway.... :biggrin:

it could be that,or the ground along the passenger-front inner fender next to the battery. re-check your fuses, I had to put a higher-amp fuse in mine cause it kept blowing

getchasum said:
It happens and then you think something is wrong. Check the roll dimmer switch, sounds like it's all the way off.

I hope it's that easy for you anyway.... :biggrin:

I wish it was that easy too, believe me. That's not it, though. While driving at night I can still turn the dome light on with the dimmer switch, I just don't get any dash/gauge lights. Nice try though.

Tom87GN said:
I wish it was that easy too, believe me. That's not it, though. While driving at night I can still turn the dome light on with the dimmer switch, I just don't get any dash/gauge lights. Nice try though.

Those exact symptoms in my Durango required a new dimmer switch....The rheostat portion of the switch was bad, the dome light switch still worked.

HTH

Try double checking these two fuses for continuity.

20 amp. TAIL LPS fuse.

5 amp. INST LPS fuse.

The courtesy lamp switch is not part of the dimmer circuit or even from the same power source although it operates off the same roller, it is a totally independant switch and circuit. It works off the CIG-CLK fuse.

salvageV6 said:
Try double checking these two fuses for continuity.

20 amp. TAIL LPS fuse.

5 amp. INST LPS fuse.

The courtesy lamp switch is not part of the dimmer circuit or even from the same power source although it operates off the same roller, it is a totally independant switch and circuit. It works off the CIG-CLK fuse.

Good tip, Salvage. I checked both fuses. The 5 amp INST LPS fuse keeps blowing when I try to turn the headlights on. I installed a 10 amp fuse in it's place and then everything works fine except that the chime bell is continuously dinging with the either the headlights or the parking lights on. Any clues on that one?

Also, somehow in this whole mess of checking wiring and fuses I have managed to make my oil pressure gauge stop working and my scanmaster power source is now gone as well. Something wierd is going on here. :mad:

i had this happen to me once, check your cluster harness for any moisture or corrosion, i had lil on the harness plug that connects to the cluster just cleaned it off and dash lights worked ever since!!! good luck :)