Dash Lights Finally Work

Low Budget

I'd like to say thank you to the people who make this web site available to me. I have solved many problems with the help of this community, including this one.

I've had no dash lights for a LONG time.

After doing searches, I learned enough to find I had two things causing my "no dash lights" problem.

First, my initial problem was the infamous shifter light wiring. I found quite a few references to this. It was broken off and grounding out. (Gray hot wire was the culprit.) Unfortunately I didn't find this quick enough.

Before I found the broken wire, after apparently one too many oversize fuses were blown trying to find the source of my problem, I ruined the dimmer switch. I know it worked at the start of this mess, because I used to be able to put a fuse in the INST LPS fuse holder, turn the parking lights switch on with the dimmer turned all the way down, and slowly raise the dimmer to full. At this point, the correct size fuse would be blown instantly. When using a 30 amp fuse, the same thing would happen only it would take a few seconds to blow. After a few tries, the fuse didn't blow anymore. The instrument lamps side of the dimmer switch was toast. Duh! It's only money, right! ;)

So now I have the broken wire taped and the dimmer switch removed. I temporarily have the connector jumped allowing the dash lights to work at full bright. Dash lights work again. When I get a new dimmer switch and a socket for the shift indicator lamp, I'll be good as new!

Thanks again Turbobuick.com. :)

Thanks for the offer Jesse. I already have a new one coming in tomorrow.

I finally got my new gauges to light-up today too. I've never seen them do that before since the dash lights weren't working. These Phantoms look pretty nice!