Damn junkyard parts!!

djj624

Spent the morning yesterday converting to vac brakes. I finished everything just to find out that in the end the booster is shot. Damn was i pissed. I had to be somewhere and couldnt even swap back to the slopmaster, so now i have to let the car sit till i get another booster. Sometimes the headaches never end.:mad:

Damn junkyard parts!!

Sometimes it pays not to get them....can be a big gamble as you have found out. Sorry to hear that, i've been down that road before.

Spent the morning yesterday converting to vac brakes. I finished everything just to find out that in the end the booster is shot. Damn was i pissed. I had to be somewhere and couldnt even swap back to the slopmaster, so now i have to let the car sit till i get another booster. Sometimes the headaches never end.:mad:

What does it do that makes you think it's bad? Is it leaking vacuum that you can hear? Maybe the check valve is no good. Where are you getting the vacuum? Cars usually aren't junked because the brakes aren't working.

It's always a good idea to check a booster before you install it. All you have to do is put engine vacuum, from any car to it, to make sure it holds vacuum, which allows you to push in the plunger on the booster by hand. If you can't push it in, it has a problem.

Not all junkyard parts are bad. But when it comes to something like brakes I prefer new stuff over remanned stuff and remanned stuff over used, especially if said used part is coming off of a non operable car. That's why I'm skeptical to buy a used engine or trans for more than what a rebuildable core costs....unless I can see/hear it run and also be able to drive said car it's out of. Otherwise I assume worst case scenario it's a turd that needs redone.

I had bought a brake booster off ebay,said to be good.So i put it on(not on a turbo buick but a dodge coronet).Needless to say it didnt work.I payed $75 for it.So i went looking for a new one and the parts store could order it and it would cost $70.So i know your pain.Sometimes used parts dont work out.

Rede Regal, I can hear the vac leaking, on top of having a very hard pedal. Anyone have any idea on how much a new one costs?

I just paid $145.83 with tax and a $10 core charge included for a new (remanned) booster/master at Advance Auto.It also comes with a new check valve.
I also paid $10 for a pedal at the local U-Pull It yard.

The only thing I got from the junk yard was the pedal. Everything else was the local auto parts store.
John

I just paid $145.83 with tax and a $10 core charge included for a new (remanned) booster/master at Advance Auto.It also comes with a new check valve.
I also paid $10 for a pedal at the local U-Pull It yard.

I'm about to do the same thing. Did yours come with the little push rod that goes between the master cylinder and the booster?

I'm about to do the same thing. Did yours come with the little push rod that goes between the master cylinder and the booster?

It came as 1 piece.The master and booster were mounted together.The rod that goes to the brake pedal was attatched too.

I got my kit from a junk yard also, when I pull it out of the garage the brakes BEARLY work, kinda scary. Does this sound like the booster? I've bled, and checked everything.

How can you check the booster while its on the car? I don't hear a vac leak anywhere, but the brakes are too bad to drive it. Maybe the master cyl even?

djj624, why don't you just go back to the yard and tell them the booster is junk. They'll probably give you another one and like redregal said, most cars don't end up there because of brakes. Odds are totally in favor of you getting a boosted that works flawlessly. Just a thought. james

Well i got a brand new booster and the brakes work like a dream now. I learned my lesson if its not an actual part like the pedal or something i know that i dont have to guess is good or not ill just buy new and avoid the headaches.