Daily Driving a GN

saywin

Fletch
I am seriously thinking of selling my little beater truck and making my GN a daily driver. My car has 135,000 miles now, but it's still running very strong. Do any of you use your GN as a DD? Please chime in and give me some input, I need someone to play devils advocate.

In one month it will be 3 years daily driving my 87 Turbo Regal.
Started at 81,000 miles and now has 106,000 on it.

My only complaint is that i wished i had installed the aluminum radiator sooner, and added a cup holder to the car.

The only time i didnt drive it 40 miles each day is when im hauling stuff to work in the truck... Ive had the truck over 5 years and it only has 48K on it, been doing alot of towing across the country with it, so the truck doesnt get driven on the city streets too much.

My DD still sports the original alt,starter,99% of the original sensors, and has never left me stranded on the side of the road, never broken down at work.

I have blown a pinhole in a coolant line TWICE and knew to twist the radiator cap 1/2 turn so the system wouldnt go under pressure. Was able to get home and the car never overheated.

The first year i started DD my car, i had alot of tools in the trunk of the car expecting that the car would break down alot. Now in favor of the tool box is a killer stereo system on the top shelf of the rear trunk.

I really think that if you plan to DD the car, get a hell of a tranny cooler with a fan just for it, a good f-body aluminum radiator and dual fans, get eric to burn a lean cruise patch for on the highway better gas mileage.

BW

You're in Texas, I don't see an issue with it. I will be DDing mine as much as the weather permits. ;)

You're in Texas, I don't see an issue with it. I will be DDing mine as much as the weather permits. ;)

The combinbation of sun and humidity in TX is lethal on the aesthetics of these cars. :mad: :mad:

I am seriously thinking of selling my little beater truck and making my GN a daily driver. My car has 135,000 miles now, but it's still running very strong. Do any of you use your GN as a DD? Please chime in and give me some input, I need someone to play devils advocate.

I have a DD ......... Always figured I'd enjoy the car and not build it for someone else to enjoy when I die.
The parking lot @ work is what bothers me most! It gets so freakin hot in there it is unbelievable.
I guess, I could just leave the widows down, which helps a lot! ;)
Drive it! :D

I drive mine everyday in the summer, 60+ miles round trip.

Just make sure that everything is in running order and you are not still using 20 year old hoses, vac lines, radiator etc.

I have 155k on mine though the tranny and motor were done at 110k.

Too bad it is time to put her away for the winter:(

-Mark

I've been daily driving my T for 6 years now. It now has 222,000 miles and I've towed it home once.

260K ish miles on my DD GN. I LOVE it. Problem is, you have to watch out for EVERYONE. They tend to want to hit your car, or "take it" without your permission when parked.;)

It's funny sometimes hearing from people who "think they know" about these cars when they come up and talk to you at gas stations, auto part stores, etc.

Park with caution.

ElectraJim

It's funny sometimes hearing from people who "think they know" about these cars when they come up and talk to you at gas stations, auto part stores, etc.

I'm AMAZED at the number of clowns that know more about my car than I do. :rolleyes:

Mine has been my daily driver for pretty much 20 years. Of course much of that time it held second car duty to the family ride but it has always been my ride. It's got over 225 k on it now. It has left me on the road twice. The first time was at about 180 k when the factory timing chain broke. I never even had the valve covers off before then. It was around 185 k when I decided to go thru the engine. I got it back together and had been driving it about three days when the second time happened. I had not gotten the cam sensor hold down tight and the sensor back out and I lost oil pressure. Of course I've had other issues but it's always brought me home other than those two times.

I've been driving mine since new, 20 years now.

Only stranded once when the tie rod end broke in a parking lot, some moron forgot to grease it for 5 years. :eek: :p

Got a ride home 22 miles and went back the next morning and fixed it in about a half hour it was a lot easier than I thought it was gonna be in the dead of winter.

It's easier now since I have two of them running and registered. :smile:

Well sorta... :biggrin:

we had a summer fleet and a winter fleet since 86 till a few years ago(hey I finally got tired of drivin the same cars for 20 years :eek: I also had a large supply of parts .. still haven't used many of them :eek:

It all depends on how mechanically sound your car is. I would stay stock for as long as possible. Once you start upgrading it never stops, for better or worse. You do get tired of the power very fast. Make sure all your basics are covered- cooling ac etc.... WARNING!!!!! These cars can be very tempermental. There will be some weeks/months you ponder of selling it. It can be an emotional rollercoaster. But in the end its all worth it. I use mine at least 12000 a yr.. Good luck...

My thoughts are you will always have to keep putting money into any "old" car. Especially a fun one like a GN/TTYPE.

Other choice is making monthly car payments on something fresh, with a warranty, and still you'll get charged for stuff at a dealership.

ElectraJim

There was recently a article in the NYTimes or Forbes in which somebody calculated how much money you would save by keeping a car instead of trading it in when the warranty expired. It was gear towards those pinheads who think the imports are better built. You saved something like $40K over 15 years. I guess a TR wouldn't be a good example in that respect. LOL.

Mine was a DD when it was new and than as I tweaked it, it became a toy or fair weather driver. I've been using it as a DD for the past year.It just kicked over 265K on the odometer. If you think TX is hard on a car than you aint been in Floridas humidity. Shoot I've had to replace the bumper fillers and the drivers seat cover so far and next up is the dash pad and maybe a new headliner.I think I can make the paint last another 2 or 3 years. It's down to the primer in a few spots since I like to keep the black paint polished. If you're worried about dependabilty than get AAA. I've picked up turbo cars that have been sitting for years and I wouldn't hesitate to use them as DDs. I even drove one a 4000 mile roadtrip and it didn't miss a beat.

Do everything yu can to keep it yours, I am talking layered security. Other than that have a backup car. Tempermental and alot of parts you have to order, even Kragens, etc isn't carrying them anymore. You WILL be down a few days at times. Most importantly security.