Custom Built Relay/Fuse box

prostreetdrag

Here we go I thought I would start another thread seperate from my frame notch/tub thats being followed for this new thread of a custom built fuse and relay center...I am rewireing my prostreet car once Im done with trunk floor,tubs,notch,cage..If you saw my other thread you will also see my custom dash panel thats in my car..I have changed to all autometer gauges but Im pulling my dash back out to install my roll cage and ive decided to rewire the whole car and getting rid of the rest of cluster F**K of factory wire harness's ..I'm going to install the new custom fuse relay box in the trunk since the battery box is in the trunk as well I wanted to have it near the battery and with the custom trunk work I am doing it will look good. I'm also doing away with the orginal fuse box under the dash since it is outdated after adding all the aftermarket electronics,gauges,etc....With this being said I will be adding pics of this as I go...This first thing I did was go to the junk yard to find a underhood fuse/relay box close to the size and shape that would work for me...The one I ended up finding was out of a saturn since they are very simmular to GM fuse boxes..It holds the mini ATC blade fuses, relays, and the large MAXI Blade fuses..Now the orignall wire with the box will not work and did not have enough fuse slots for what I will need so i took the fuse box completely apart and gutted it out and took the harness out of it and i am modifying the wire harnesses that the fuses plug into to add more fuse slots..I was able to get addtional pins from radio shack so I can modify the wire harness plug to add more fuse/relay slots I had to use a air body saw to cut the inside of the plastic fuse box base so it can be modifed to accept more fuses/relays..I will post pics as i go along explaing this process so your able to understand..Unfortunatly I didnt think about do this post and posting pics before I took apart the fuse box apart but once you see it you should get an idea what I had to do..The underhood fuse boxes in your late model cars is the best to use because it will give a cleaner look because they all have box covers that screw on the top to protect it..Im thinking about useing some stainless steel or aluminum to fab up a new cover that screws over the top of the fuse/relay box though so it matchs the fuel cell and stainless battery box in my trunk...I also still need wire the new pins in the harness plugs

heres some of the pics that shows the start of this custom fuse box

Attachments

• fuse box tore apart.jpg
    fuse box tore apart.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 2,011
  • fuse box parts.jpg
    fuse box parts.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,524
  • fuse box harness.jpg
    fuse box harness.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 1,679
  • fuse box underside with 1 harness.jpg
    fuse box underside with 1 harness.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,646
These next couple pics will give you an idea what should look like when done. I took so stainless steel and will be epoxyed on the inside so will give this box a custom look..I still need to cut the stainless steel for the slots so im able to plug the relays and fuses in the wire harness..i will post more pics as i go along...I still need to rewire the harness plug with the new pins and woreing though..

Attachments

• fuse box with stailess 2.jpg
    fuse box with stailess 2.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,601
  • fuse box with stainless.jpg
    fuse box with stainless.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,391
Since the inside will have stainless in it...I will make the cover that screws over the top with stainless as well..also incase anyone wonders with the stainless on the inside and with the way the harness is designed and the way the fuse slot will be cut it will not short out with the stainless inside or touch the fuses. The stainless that inlays inside will simply be there for looks..

Here we go I thought I would start another thread seperate from my frame notch/tub thats being followed for this new thread of a custom built fuse and relay center...I am rewireing my prostreet car .....and ive decided to rewire the whole car and getting rid of the rest of cluster F**K of factory wire harness's ..........

Could not agree more about getting rid of the factory wiring in a race car. :)

We have done this on a few GN's that are race cars, and a couple street/strip car.

Here are a couple different panels we have installed:

Attachments

• panel 2.jpg
    panel 2.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 3,412
  • panel 3.jpg
    panel 3.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,623
Could not agree more about getting rid of the factory wiring in a race car. :)

We have done this on a few GN's that are race cars, and a couple street/strip car.

Here are a couple different panels we have installed:

Nick, you big show off. LOL!

Some nice work there. Did you do all that nice wiring?

Nick, you big show off. LOL!

Some nice work there. Did you do all that nice wiring?

I wish I did! :D

A couple of my local "helpers" are electronic techs as well as car freaks, so I do help and learn a LOT. :)

Not shown are the power and ground terminal posts from the battery which are usually mounted next to the board.

We have learned is is very important to bring power directly from the battery as well as a direct line for ground also. Do NOT run grounds through the frame, body or roll cage, and make sure the wire size for any ground is the same size as the feed.

Before we do and wiring on a car - street or strip - a wiring diagram is drawn up, and all wires are labeled on both ends.

Even on slightly modified cars, we now stay away from the stock fuse panel, and use a smaller junction/fuse block for added items.

Mine isnt for a race car but my LTD has quite a few extra wires for guages, wideband, Powerlogger etc etc. I got a fuse box off e-bay with about 14 fuse slots & ground poles. Ran all new wires up behind glovebox & mounted it on the back of glovebox so when open all the way it's very easy access & everything is labelled. No more Rats Nest under my feet that makes it impossible to keep neat. Took some time but well worth it IMO. Also the main power & ground come from battery & engine ground so they are all solid.

Thats a very nice setup aswell..Thanks for sharing.. The reason Im building this one confinend to a box type setup is to keep all the wireing hidden for a cleaner install but at the same time it will allow me more options for addtional electronics in the future if needed. The fuse box cover will be made of stainless steel to hide and protect the fuses/relays. I know with my luck doing a pannel simalar to that one I would end up needing to add addtional relays to the pannel and would have to redesign a new one for the addtional relays,fuse,etc...That is very nice though I do like them...Its very impressive to see everyones work..Keep up the great work everyone.

Havent forgot about this thread will update soon with more progress pics..I have many projects with this car going on at same time.

Mine isnt for a race car but my LTD has quite a few extra wires for guages, wideband, Powerlogger etc etc. I got a fuse box off e-bay with about 14 fuse slots & ground poles. Ran all new wires up behind glovebox & mounted it on the back of glovebox so when open all the way it's very easy access & everything is labelled. No more Rats Nest under my feet that makes it impossible to keep neat. Took some time but well worth it IMO. Also the main power & ground come from battery & engine ground so they are all solid.

Just what I'm looking for.
Do you have info or pic / spec on the brand etc?
I want to add a few things and absolutely refuse to haywire either at the battery or the existing fuse box.
#1 is to add / modify my console for my ipod & 12V outlet.
#2 is for my amplifier
#3 is for additional interior lighting, underhood and trunk lighting
So I have big plans for some more fuses..