Critique my combo please

I recently purchased a 83 T-Type with a 87GN motor for $2500. The shortblock is stock rebuild .030 over with about 1K miles. I have an aftermarket powerstroke intercooler, Meth Injection set at 16psi:confused:, 60lbs injectors, scanmaster, turbo tweak chip, supposedly a 3700 stall 10'' converter, and TA-63 big shaft turbo. Car runs ok but I cant get the boost on the foot brake or E-brake pass 2-3 pounds of boost. The RPMS were only at 2450 with the gas to the floor on street tires with E-brake. They were not spinning. I have read all the spring cleaning stuff and my scanmaster readings are good. I am very happy with the way the car runs except on launch. I have not ran it at the track yet; however, I think with that high of a stall it should be making more boost on E-brake? I was given the stock turbo with it as well. Should I just put that back on? I know this TA-63 is over kill. The converter seems tighter to me but definitely is a 10" . I noticed it has an Art Carr deep pan as well. I am leaving out a few things but those are the main mods. Any feed back appreciated!

I push through on the foot brake but I read about the E-brake on here and it held. It held but did not build but like maybe 2psi (was barely over 0), and the scanmaster read 2450 rpm with pedal to floor.

That converter is a LOT tighter than 3700 stall... I'd keep the turbo too but see if I could maybe sell your converter and get another one more suited to your turbo. Check the puck on the wastegate hole for good seal, try an RJC boost controller for better spool, and maybe tune the first gear fuel a little leaner first though since you have the TT chip and scanmaster. Try that first as all are easy and only cost is RJC boost controller. Just what I would do and I'm no expert.

Good luck and welcome!

I agree with the others... that ain't no stinkin 3700 converter.

You didn't mention what brakes or braking system is on the car. Vacuum? stock brakes?

The RJC valve will help it spoolup faster.... but the converter will probably need to be swapped regardless to max spoolup. I would try the other stuff before swapping the converter though.

1.) Check wastegate puck for proper seal
2.) Check exhaust housing size
3.) Attempt to lean out spoolup portion of tune (1st gear)
4.) What timing are you running in 1st gear?
5.) Make sure there are no pre-turbo exhaust leaks.... these can kill spoolup.

....... I was given the stock turbo with it as well. Should I just put that back on? I know this TA-63 is over kill. The converter seems tighter to me but definitely is a 10" .....

To me, that would be the smart, simple thing to do which will give you a baseline starting point. :)

the converter does sound real tight.i would check the ex housing size like suggested,but even still if its that tight with that turbo,you will need to get a looser converter.the 63 is a nice turbo with the smaller ex housing.

To me, that would be the smart, simple thing to do which will give you a baseline starting point. :)
+1, it would work better with what the torque converter is stalling at. From there you can make a better assesment of what is going on.

I agree with everybody.But one more thing to check is the stator support.
If the spline are gone you will have the same situation no boost no rpm.

That converter is a LOT tighter than 3700 stall... I'd keep the turbo too but see if I could maybe sell your converter and get another one more suited to your turbo. Check the puck on the wastegate hole for good seal, try an RJC boost controller for better spool, and maybe tune the first gear fuel a little leaner first though since you have the TT chip and scanmaster. Try that first as all are easy and only cost is RJC boost controller. Just what I would do and I'm no expert.

Good luck and welcome!

Thanks, I was thinking the same on the converter. The previous owner suggested that I get the RJC boost controller and cut some fuel in first too. Thanks!

I agree with everybody.But one more thing to check is the stator support.
If the spline are gone you will have the same situation no boost no rpm.

If the splines were stripped or stripping wouldn't you have no boost by RPM's would be high? It also probably won't go very good when you weren't brake building boost.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I am new to the TR's so some of the terms you all use I will have to google. I do have vacuum brakes also. I have aftermarket headers and did not find any leaks.

You have a 2200 stall. Put the stock turbo on the car and get used to it. It will be quicker and a lot more fun. Save the 63 so when you get the correct supporting parts you can make good use of it

Thanks for all the replies guys. I am new to the TR's so some of the terms you all use I will have to google. I do have vacuum brakes also. I have aftermarket headers and did not find any leaks.

What terms are confusing? I would spend ALOT of time searching the forum.

What terms are confusing? I would spend ALOT of time searching the forum.

Definitely.............I have spent most of my reading on here and GNtype.org. Since our cars are not new, I just search all posts from the beginning of a section and start reading. I was a liitle confused when asked, What a/r is the turbine housing? Not sure what that means.

One more question. Will I hurt anything running the stock turbo since it is tuned for the larger one? I looked at the receipt for the chip and it has the tune for this TA63turbo, 20psi of boost, and 60lb injectors. Does this matter if I still leave it adjusted for 20psi of boost but smaller turbo? Thanks