crazy knock +12° when boost level is above 20?

Quick6'n'-K.C.

wana steal it? meet mr9mm
Staff member
this probably belongs in the General Tech section, but it involves my alky kit.

this is LONG!

My 87 limited had sat for about 2 years, i started it about once every 3 months, in the garage because i thought the turbo was bad, turned out to be ATR downpipe swing arm making the noise-
6 weeks ago i recieved my downpipe back from ATR and ive been driving the car everyday since, ive been trying to dial it in but my luck isnt getting any better-

Combo-
87 turbo limited 3700 lbs with driver FULL tank of gas.
stock turbo
stock intercooler stock neck
30# green stripes with 15000-20000 miles
ATR "THDP style"
hooker cat back full exhaust turbo mufflers
walboro 340 hotwired, new fuel filter TODAY
92 BP GAS might be the problem, filled it yesterday
SMC alky single nozzle with 100% denatured alky, kit is 3 years old, i keep the alky in a sealed 55 gallon drum
Brand new NGK UR5 gapped at 32
Brand new bosch 02 sensor
PMAC trans with 9/11 convertor
RJC power plate
62mm throttle body
lower intake ported to heads
solid maf 9" K&N
Eric Marshall alky chip 28° in 1st and 2nd 25° in 3rd Wide open fueling turned up from 128 to 137.

heres the deal-
last few days i had the boost set at 19psi, fuel pressure at 44 line off, and Smc alky set to 4.5 - 5 on the dial ABSOLUTELY NO KNOCK. it might have seen maybe 1° once it hit 3rd when the convertor was locked.
Yesterday before i left work, i decided to turn the wastegate rod in a few turns to get the boost up to 22 psi. i figured that i could turn the SMC up anywhere between 5 and 10 to dial it in.

WRONG- i filled up 92 octane at the local BP because i was getting real low, took 15 gallons of fuel- and the car was getting 12° of knock down low and at 70MPH- i turned the kick in to about 12 LBS, and turned the SMC dial anywhere between 5 and 10 and the 02 changed, but the car STILL gets more than 8° of knock.

So, i turned the fuel pressure UP to 46 psi, and let the car sit for a few hours. i watched the 85 GNs on the history channel, and felt i needed to go work on the car at 9pm. took a 145 LB buddy with me.
STILL GETS 12-15° OF KNOCK- dial anywhere between 5 and 10, 02s show anywhere between 808 and 835. 12° of knock at 92MPH.

I gave up for the night and thought things thru.

changed the 02 AND Fuel filter today at work, turned the boost down and zip tied my fuel pressure regulator hose to the tubes.
i was going to try and add 25 psi of air pressure to the regulator to see if it was rising 1:1 , but didnt have time.

Left work.

Primed the alky pump, got some knock at first, 19 psi, so im thinking maybe i need to check my alky pump?
how can i check the pressure or the flow of the pump in my alky kit? seems that it wasnt working very well the first couple of times i got into it.

anyway, im driving home and decide to turn the boost command all the way down since its not working anyway. forgot i turned it down, floored it, 12psi of boost, no knock WTF 12psi?
still have it floored, turned the boost command dial, IT WORKS:eek: immediately dial it in to 20psi and only 1° of knock all the way to 90mph.
then it starts raining. Go figure right?

now im thinking i may have had a loose connection at the FPR hose and kept the fuel rising at the correct ratio, that is why the alky would not compensate for the added boost-

maybe its fixed now, but i want to feel you guys out on this one too....

but it seems tooooo oddddddd that 2 weeks ago, i had the 7th injector hooked up and once i got to 22psi it would get 15° of knock, im retarded and stayed in it.
went 12.8 at 107 with about 8 - 12 degrees on knock up, down, down to 4° at the end of the traps, alky all the way up. 830s 1700°, black plugs.

took off the 7th, turned the fuel pressure from 36 to 42 and been trying to get it right since then.

so, tomorrow on the way to work im going to turn the boost back up to 21 and 22. IF i get 8° of knock again obviously i will turn the alky up some. IF i get the alky all the way to 10 and im still getting knock at that level, what the heck is the next step?

I dont think the car is starving for more injectors because,with the 7th injector, its a 30# injector making the system a 36# total, and the car runs way to rich and gets rich knock.

thoughts? ideas? what am i missing? maybe its fixed?

BW

I posted in the tech section.
whats the best way to test the output of the alky kit?
THANKS

BW

use a fuel pressure guage "T"'d into the pressure line taped to your windshield. This assummes you dont have a clogged nozzle :mad:

Another way is to relocate your MAT sensor into the plenum.. if the temps are low.. the alky is spraying.

And.. cut a window into the plenum, install some lexan, strap someone to the top of the motor.. do a 25 PSI blast down the street..see if they see alky flowing in :D

i like that idea of strapping someone to the motor! Maybe i will get Fast Eddie Brewer to do it for me:p

clogged nozzle? hmmm

thanks, i will try it out

BW

Are you still useing the Bosch O2 sensor? I tried one a few years back & was running so rich it fouled my plugs in no time! I'd suggest putting a stock O2 on, new plugs & try it again.

yep- got the bosch in there right now, not any different than the stock AC delco.
thanks for the reply
BW

Dunno bout the Bosch. I have had a lot of cars with weird O2 readings that were using the Bosch sensor.

On Direct Scan you can see the curve something is up with it.

They may work when you first install them... but when they start going bad.. you may not have it check engine lite on you.

I only use the AFS20/AFS21 on the cars I mess with. Once it starts going bad you get the check engine lite.