crate engines

alexo

Hello all,
new to the site.
I think I just got had on a 87 t type i just purchased.
Motor burns oil and the car doesnt drive to great.
It's what I get for buying over the internet and not looking at the car before buying.
Looks like a lot more work than I thought.
Any one know of a good crate engine builder for the 231 v6?
Havn't had any luck at all.

I wouldnt trust a 231 crate engine. Its hard enought to keep these things together when you have them built by a professional. Not to mention the crate engine will not have the turbo parts inside the block. Couple of good builders would be RPE, DLS, Zimmerman. Where do you live?

maybe some help

if you pull spark plugs and you dont see any oil residue or fouled plugs it might be just the turbo or oil delivery to turbo try that first before crate motor less money ..

Get in touch with Doc Cruz on here his user name is
III'S 87 GN he is doing mine and a friend's motors.

Shaun

Groomes Engines has an exchange program for 231 Turbo engines and offers a few upgrade options also.

and also

if you come to the point it is the engine you can find a crate motor vin 7 109 block at gearhead its the same motor they build for spartan. that you can buy trough advance auto parts good to about 400 or so horse power we have one in my parts chaser 87 t type with some mods over 2000000 on chassie runs good but not a race car if you what to go big get ready to spend some money low e.t comes at a premium hope this helps without knowing your budget :smile:

if you come to the point it is the engine you can find a crate motor vin 7 109 block at gearhead its the same motor they build for spartan. that you can buy trough advance auto parts good to about 400 or so horse power we have one in my parts chaser 87 t type with some mods over 2000000 on chassie runs good but not a race car if you what to go big get ready to spend some money low e.t comes at a premium hope this helps without knowing your budget :smile:

I just looked on the Advance auto site and only found a crank.

Crate engine

Hey foks,
Thanks for the feedback.
Really encourages me.
I live in the bay area of northern california.

its there at advance but its special order i can get part listing for ya if you need paul

Crate engine

anything helps at this point.
I'll be in this one for the long haul.
At least my wife didn't kick my ass.
I'm debating on whether to see if I can get is smogged here.
The car is from Georgia.

Hey foks,
Thanks for the feedback.
Really encourages me.
I live in the bay area of northern california.

I live in the Bay Area as well. I know there is someone in the Fairfield /Vacaville area. The shop name is Mizzies or Mizzy's. You should check with them first to determine if you even need a new motor. This might save you thousands!! If you do I’m sure he can build one for you. There are vendors on the home page as well that can build one for you. You will have to ship your motor to them. I sent mine to Weber Racing. These guys were great to deal with. Just make sure you send it to someone that knows the Turbo V6 . Just like the others mentioned be prepared to spend a little $$$. These cars get real expensive fast. Especially if you want to go fast. Welcome!!

P.S. If you want a base you can go to the weber racing website and put the entire build in the shopping cart and see a total depending on what you are try to do. They have mild to wild.

This is how mine came.:biggrin: at a high price too.:frown:

Attachments

• New In the Crate.jpg
    New In the Crate.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,143
Thanks.
I think I'll try the local folks first.
Really, only wanna keep this as a weekend driver.

However I definitely don't mind mind having that kind of power on tap.
Motor budget would be no more than 3to4k.
If anything I'd like to put Then $ in making the car look like new. I'll need to redo the interior ie. dash, center console, door panels etc. weather seals and then the paint
Another good thing about this car is it's never been in an accident.
A little bastardized, but no guardrails, if you know what I mean.
Ahhh, where should I start?

weber

I ordered a crate motor from weber as well, have not got it yet but they have been very good to deal with. The cost is expensive though, and had parts shipped from champion and other vendors to them and they took care of it all for me.

Steve your pic makes me anxious for mine to come, should be shipping out on mon or tues.

Can't wait, even though when I get it it will still be 6 feet of snow here. UGH!

Crate engine

What kinda $'s are we talking here?
and I'm curious about the shipment cost too.
The last time I took and engine out and put in another was for a 80 cutlass.
The turbo, and the injection make me nervous.
Will need some help from my more mechanically inclined family.

cost

I think for my long block with new everything! Meaning new block and internals, new heads and new intake and new front cover was about 10k. I got my heads new at champion and then shipped them to weber, that shipping stuff all adds up and I had to get new studs for the rockers too and that added up, then I got a new cam sensor and that is expensive for what it is. Cost gets ugly fast.

Should be all worth it. I have had local guys build me an engine alot cheaper, and about three times too, I did the same with my transmission, a local rebuilt it three or four times. Trust me, buy from a vendor here and it is money well spent, local guys just don't know these cars.

Jarred .

3-4 thousand$ with these cars you can a parts truck get youu your parts or an armored car depends on the budget that crate from weber casts more than that gearhead long block at gearhead .com fits yours and if you keep your core add 250.00 i got mine trough advance special order via my commercial parts rep for 1500.00 with core and works great for a non abuse app. then take you core and have it built because your going to need it once you start to want more and that will come sooner than later ..

What kinda $'s are we talking here?
and I'm curious about the shipment cost too.
The last time I took and engine out and put in another was for a 80 cutlass.
The turbo, and the injection make me nervous.
Will need some help from my more mechanically inclined family.

The 3-4k that your are talking about will go a long way if you keep it fairly simple. It all depends on the condition of your engine. Shipping the motor cost me around $650 ~ 700 round trip. I made the mistake and sent them all my accessories which made the cost go way up. :eek: Doing basic work on the motor is not all that bad.