crank trigger for FAST

Adam Whitman

I'm afraid I screwed up. I bought a NIB Fel-Pro 30-223310 for what I thought was a good deal and am not sure it is for my needs. SEFI with analog crank sensor.

I envisioned modifying my analog distributor for the crank signal, but can't find a good reliable crank trigger for a street-car. The MSD's, Moroso's, etc all claim race-only for their crank triggers.

Precision was the original seller, and they sent me to FAST. FAST sent me to MSD, where I thought they had at least a dual sync distributor that would work. More careful reading says that the MSD distributor's crank signal is hall-effect. The Accel dis is all hall-effect. Nobody seemed too excited about any sort of reconfiguring of the F-P for different sensors. I even considered EDIS ignition, but then found the F-P has to be configured for that too. :(

I want to put this on a 455 Buick, but am to the point of putting it on my SB Chevy if I can make it work with good available parts.

Help? :confused: :confused:

TIA from a FAST noob that tried a search first....

MSD distributors are not hall effect.Not the ones ive seen
Every one i have seen is inductive style.

MSD distributors are not hall effect.Not the ones ive seen
Every one i have seen is inductive style.
i think he's talking about the crank trigger. clamboy! i think he's looking for the old style. like the one thats on the blue car?

Yes, the crank trigger side of the dual sync, or cam sync distributor (only for the Chev at this time) is listed as hall-effect. The ignition side is analog.

If you can get a dou sink distr. for your crank and cam, even if it is Hall-Effect on both sides (crank and cam), just contact FAST and tell them that you need a RMA to have to changed to Hall Effect crank and cam. Make sure you tell them Hall Effect crank and cam, or it will be Hall Effect crank and IPU cam. They only charge $50 or so for the conversion, but it can be done.

Adam,

For what its worth, I run bank-to-bank and it works great. No crank sensor.

-Bob Cunningham

p.s. I can also get you a good startup program too...

Bob, were I to do it all over again, and buying from a dealer, I would have gone B-to-B, but since I am there... A startup program would be a great head-start for me for sure.

I wonder if it would be smarter to have the hall effect reconfig, or just go with B-to-B? That would open up other control options too, wouldn't it?

There is a nice trigger-wheel setup for using edis on a Buick. Might be the route to go?

Don't get me started. I already have enough plans with my supercharger and super-duper nitrous system and a new TA block etc... EDIS is just another thing on my radar.

By the way, I run a Mallory distributor that I purchased "slightly used". I think it has a Chrysler-style pickup.

You can also run the system with a regular HEI distributor, but you should run an external coil. (Unless your fel-pro isn't configured for it)

-Bob C.

Seems like if I should send it in for reconfig that going for edis and using the dist as cam sensor would be the thing to do.

Either that or KISS and just go B-to-B.