crank question...

It would, but why? There are so many forged cranks out there now. If you you bought a used crank for $100-150 then send it to a shop to get magged, checked for straightness, polished , and maybe even turned. You may have another $100 to 200 in it and would be very close to the price of a new forged stock or stroker. Granted it still will not be a drop in piece as it has to be put thru the paces before being put into service and balanced with your rod/ piston / flex plate setup.

It would, but why? There are so many forged cranks out there now. If you you bought a used crank for $100-150 then send it to a shop to get magged, checked for straightness, polished , and maybe even turned. You may have another $100 to 200 in it and would be very close to the price of a new forged stock or stroker. Granted it still will not be a drop in piece as it has to be put thru the paces before being put into service and balanced with your rod/ piston / flex plate setup.
Eagle forged crank
$440 shipped with summit racing

No i have a crank in my messed up hot air engine,
And i have a 109 block heads, new rods and pistons. Just need crank to start build...,

4469CB7C-5008-4E2E-A3EE-D94237919E82.png

No i have a crank in my messed up hot air engine,
And i have a 109 block heads, new rods and pistons. Just need crank to start build...,
The turbo crank in the 85 is the same as in the 87. The heads are the same as well.

The block is different. This in itself is not a big deal. Structurally, an argument can be made that the 109 (86-87) block is stronger. But for the mild street truck conversion combo you are looking for, this shouldn't even be a concern. So, no reason to even bother with the debate on this.

But most different, is the general set-up. Things like the intake, headers, downpipe, oil pan, accessories, fan, radiator, turbo, ignition, engine management........the list goes on and on. The entire combo of parts works better on the 86/87. It's easier to get stuff, more aftermarket support, work on, go fast with, tune, etc.....

These are the reasons that make the 86/87 combo a smarter choice for most any application.

BTW, Over 20 years ago, my car was an 85 T-Type. Been there. Done that.

I was wondering if a 84-85 Hot air turbo engine crank work in a 86-87 109 block

You will always get someone telling you to convert to IC set-up, without understanding your goals.
My understanding is that you are building a hybrid to cruise, and want something different. You have already put in a lot of custom work and you are happy with the set-up. The engine is damaged but you are well on your way to you overall goal.

Yes, the 84-85 crank will fit in a 109 block, and vice versa.
No, the HA block is not “weaker” than a 109.
Yes, some have successfully used NA cranks for low/mild HP set-ups.
Yes, a forged crank is obviously stronger but there is additional work/cost because they are internally balanced.

You will always get someone telling you to convert to IC set-up, without understanding your goals.
My understanding is that you are building a hybrid to cruise, and want something different. You have already put in a lot of custom work and you are happy with the set-up. The engine is damaged but you are well on your way to you overall goal.

Yes, the 84-85 crank will fit in a 109 block, and vice versa.
No, the HA block is not “weaker” than a 109.
Yes, some have successfully used NA cranks for low/mild HP set-ups.
Yes, a forged crank is obviously stronger but there is additional work/cost because they are internally balanced.
I would have to disagree about the HA block being as strong as the 109 . All you have to do is look at the valley of each of them . Please explain how you feel the HA block is just as strong as the 109 .

I know very little about the Hot Air engines.

I've read a few posts on this forum about them & attempts to add an Intercooler. I've wondered if alcohol injection would be more beneficial than an IC?

It’s not for me
It’s the OP he is going to do a rebuild

Doesn't matter .. my point is your gonna have a lot more into that crank than you think ... been there done that..
on a stock type setup 11.50 or slower... just run a stocker .. no point in getting stupid on parts you don't need and that are going to cost you in other areas...
10's i'd say yea forget the stocker and just go forged..

its $450 for just the crank .. but then how much in the "EXTRA'S" to make it work .. balancing, Mallory metal, balancer , flexplate, etc etc I bet he has another $500 in the crank on top of the $450 .. maybe more !

Doesn't matter .. my point is your gonna have a lot more into that crank than you think ... been there done that..
on a stock type setup 11.50 or slower... just run a stocker .. no point in getting stupid on parts you don't need and that are going to cost you in other areas...
10's i'd say yea forget the stocker and just go forged..

its $450 for just the crank .. but then how much in the "EXTRA'S" to make it work .. balancing, Mallory metal, balancer , flexplate, etc etc I bet he has another $500 in the crank on top of the $450 .. maybe more !
Oh you’re trying to test me.
Just because I’m new here don’t mean anything.

So you are say he can buy a stock crank and just slap it in?
No Machine work or balancing needed?

Yeah he can use his stock flywheel and balancer.
That about it.

Oh you’re trying to test me.
Just because I’m new here don’t mean anything.

So you are say he can buy a stock crank and just slap it in?
No Machine work or balancing needed?

Yeah he can use his stock flywheel and balancer.
That about it.

Keep readin Grasshopper :)

Keep readin Grasshopper :)
What you want me to read Old man?

There’s nothing

Answer the question
You really think that stock crank is just going to just pop right in???
Free of charge???

Anyway the option is for the OP