Craig Smith,or anyone, one more question for ya

lilthumper

In front of your regal
After giving up on any electrical or FAST bugs, I went ahead and tore down lilthumper to check my valve adjustments, look for any broken springs, etc.. I did pull the plugs to find that everyone of them were more black than my diesel's tailpipe. OK...I know my tune is not the cause of this because the actual A-F is not that rich, it reads 10.5-12.5 depending on the RPM. I decided to OHM my 1 month old Taylor 9mm wires. Here is what I got. 6 wires were in the range of 600 to 900 ohms depending on the length, I did get a reading of 3500 to 5500 ohms on the remaining 2 wires. I performed this test 3 times and always got consistent readings on the 6 wires, but kept getting zero reading or 3500-5500 on the remaining 2. My question is, could 2 bad wires cause this big problem? Should I go buy another set and put the stuff back together or just continue to tear down the motor checking for something else.

One more thing to note. Last week, I did notice a very small blue ark going on somewhere in my brand new HVC coil. It was somewhere between the blue plastic center casing and the black metal fins on the HVC. I have already put my old blaster coil on and the problem was still there. My question is could 1 or 2 bad plug wires go back to the coil and cause a problem in the coil?? I sure hope I'm on to something here.

If you have even 1 cylinder that is off its gonna screw up everything, If the fuel is not burning in one cylinder the o2 is gonna read the wrong a/f ratio. But it seams to me with out spark your o2 would read rich and tryy to lean it out.
Otto

02's and spark

If the wire has high resistence it will jump to grd or back feed into the module. were you gettting missfire? If the engine even slightly missfires the o2 will read the remaining unburnt air and read lean. a good test is to put joy soap in a spray bottle,fill with warm water. soak down all ignition parts on a up to temp engine then have a friend put the car in gear and lightly brake torqe it. If there is a problem with arcing you will know.

Blake,

The ignition will send a spark to whatever path is easiest for it. If you have plug wires with an open, the coil will arc over to its own body(or whatever is close) from it's main terminal. It will also do this with high resistance.