Cracked manifold...jb weld?

Jseverin

Noticed a coolant leak from what I thought was a loose hose. Upon cleaning the gunk from around the hose I found a decent sized crack in the manifold ( see attached photo). I was going to use jb weld to patch it up in order to get the car to the shop. Outside of general maintenance i haven't done much work on cars andI've never run into this issue before. wanted to make sure this was a sufficient plan.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    845.8 KB · Views: 300
It might get you to the shop but it will NOT a be a sufficient repair. The intake most likely can't be fixed, it looks to me like the oring failed on the hose connection and then it fluid cut around that area. JB weld MIGHT get you to the shop but I really doubt it.

On a side note I have a stock intake that has been ported and polished if your interested. Depending on your budget though this would be a great time to "Upgrade" to the Champion intake!

It would take a serious amount of material missing to not be sealed by the new housing as it goes in quite a bit.

Bryan

Glad I asked, it does look like the thermostat housing is the culprit. After seeing what the part should look like in phone guys post it made sense to me when looking under the hood. Thanks to everyone for the help, glad I got to learn something new today!

The old one WILL be a bitch to get out !!! Grab a pair of Vise Grips and give it hell since it is being replaced. Lube the O ring on the new one before installing. Good luck

Bryan

I have used JB weld to fill in the EGR passages in the head and intake I pulled apart a copper pan scouring pad(think brilo) stuffed it into the holes and filled it with JB Weld. Going 10+ years now.
It works well, I was a skeptic for a long time.

Used jb weld to patch the crack in the thermostat housing and its holding up just fine. I did get the new housing however. I just need some free time to replace it.